Inyo N F wilderness permit reservations

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Inyo N F wilderness permit reservations

Post by SirBC » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:19 pm

Is Inyo still allowing walk-up permits in 2021? If so, are they still doing the system at the Mammoth visitor center where you line up and get a number when they open and then come back after 11 am and they take numbers in order?

-------------
Dave | flickr

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:22 pm

Is Inyo still allowing walk-up permits in 2021? If so, are they still doing the system at the Mammoth visitor center where you line up and get a number when they open and then come back after 11 am and they take numbers in order?
No walk-in permits will be issued this season! Everything will be thru recreation.gov, there will be a press release coming, this is from the Mammoth Ranger Station. :\ :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 pm

Dang. Before I posted I actually looked on the Inyo site and couldn't find anything other than their trail quota PDF which still shows the walk-up quotas for each trail, so I'm glad I asked :( I was planning (hoping, really) that this was the summer where I was going to be able to spend a good month doing 3 or so trips back to back with only a quick resupply and shower in-between. I can still do that but was really hoping on just heading out when the weather and snowpack looked good.

My first thought is to just start booking a ton of permits and cancel as needed. It feels dirty though as that will then screw others out of permits that I wouldn't be using since they won't go back into a walk-up pool. What is everyone else doing?
-------------
Dave | flickr

Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:54 am

SirBC wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 pm
My first thought is to just start booking a ton of permits and cancel as needed. It feels dirty though as that will then screw others out of permits that I wouldn't be using since they won't go back into a walk-up pool. What is everyone else doing?
That's the very problem with online permits - there's gotta be a better way!

rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:27 am

I don't feel dirty pulling reservations as long as I cancel them if I don't use them.
It is the way it is..
With that said, the reservations should be free and not a cover charge. We didn't set up the system. Kind of like a new tax.