Inyo N F wilderness permit reservations

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Inyo N F wilderness permit reservations

Post by SirBC »

Is Inyo still allowing walk-up permits in 2021? If so, are they still doing the system at the Mammoth visitor center where you line up and get a number when they open and then come back after 11 am and they take numbers in order?
-------------
Dave | flickr
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Is Inyo still allowing walk-up permits in 2021? If so, are they still doing the system at the Mammoth visitor center where you line up and get a number when they open and then come back after 11 am and they take numbers in order?
No walk-in permits will be issued this season! Everything will be thru recreation.gov, there will be a press release coming, this is from the Mammoth Ranger Station. :\ :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

Dang. Before I posted I actually looked on the Inyo site and couldn't find anything other than their trail quota PDF which still shows the walk-up quotas for each trail, so I'm glad I asked :( I was planning (hoping, really) that this was the summer where I was going to be able to spend a good month doing 3 or so trips back to back with only a quick resupply and shower in-between. I can still do that but was really hoping on just heading out when the weather and snowpack looked good.

My first thought is to just start booking a ton of permits and cancel as needed. It feels dirty though as that will then screw others out of permits that I wouldn't be using since they won't go back into a walk-up pool. What is everyone else doing?
-------------
Dave | flickr
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

SirBC wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 pm My first thought is to just start booking a ton of permits and cancel as needed. It feels dirty though as that will then screw others out of permits that I wouldn't be using since they won't go back into a walk-up pool. What is everyone else doing?
That's the very problem with online permits - there's gotta be a better way!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I don't feel dirty pulling reservations as long as I cancel them if I don't use them.
It is the way it is..
With that said, the reservations should be free and not a cover charge. We didn't set up the system. Kind of like a new tax.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

SirBC wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:19 pm Is Inyo still allowing walk-up permits in 2021? If so, are they still doing the system at the Mammoth visitor center where you line up and get a number when they open and then come back after 11 am and they take numbers in order?
I posted this earlier on another thread then saw this so I am re posting here.
The new "walk in permit" system that comes available 2 weeks prior to a specific date is not free. I went on recreation.gov to check walk in permits for Thursday May 13th, which is 2 weeks from today, and sure enough they are available online but still the same $5/person fee + $6 reservation fee. So now you not only have to reserve your "walk in" last minute overnight trips but you need to pay $11+ for them now. I have a feeling that free walk in permit will now be a thing of the past...
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Cannot remember where I actually found this, maybe on the directions I got when I made a reservation, (and not sure I read it right).

When you pay for a reservation, you get a "confirmation" which is NOT the permit. You have to print out your permit. Evidently the system knows when you print. If you do not "print" within a time period (2 days??) it is an assumed cancellation and goes back into the "walk-in" basket. This is to act the same as the old "no show". Is this correct???

The new "walk-in" is NOT a walk-in, but rather a short term reservation. I do not mind paying for my real walk-in; I just want to be able to physically walk in to the office, talk to a real person, and select an available permit right then. I will miss the fellow who gave me all my permits at the Mono visitor center! It is like the loss of an old friend. Sigh.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:39 am I will miss the fellow who gave me all my permits at the Mono visitor center! It is like the loss of an old friend. Sigh.
Me too. And always with at last some helpful advice, combined with a sense of humor.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ditto.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

I'm surprised by the number of folks that miss the reservation pickup. I couldn't stand it, myself. Who wants to stand in a line wasting half the morning, when you can be miles up the trail watching a beautiful sunrise. Or, just not dying in the heat on a trail like Taboose. I did the Night Box whenever I could.

A conversation behind me in line one day at Lone Pine summed up my thoughts on permit pickup. "Where are you getting a permit for". "Oh, anywhere is fine with me. I just wasn't expecting f#cking Disneyland".

That said, the online system has its kinks. I definitely relate to the pains of trying to get a permit last minute. Availability is a joke the way it is currently implemented. I'm sure the increasing popularity of the area is not helping, either.

Guess no system is perfect for everybody
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/