TR: McGee Pass to Lake George 8/17/17 - 8/20/17

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
stringbop
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: McGee Pass to Lake George 8/17/17 - 8/20/17

Post by stringbop »

Day 1. On this trip we had two cars so we were able to leave a car at the trailhead and the other car at Lake George where we would be ending our trip. Got a much later start than was hoping for. Planned on being at McGee Trailhead at around 1PM, yet here it was after 4PM and we were just getting started. So into the mountains we go! I was the backpacking expert of the group with a whole 4 day trip under my belt. Nobody else had any experience. What could go wrong? Even with the late start we were still able to hike in almost 7 miles just shy of Big McGee Lake. It was getting dark and we found a good spot to camp, so we snagged it! 7 miles 2,475ft gain
1.jpg
Into the Mountains we go

Day 2- Headed out for McGee Pass. Hiking past Red and White Mountains and Big McGee Lakes was gorgeous. Lots of snow going over McGee Pass. Luckily not having microspikes wasn't an issue. Snow was just soft enough to get some traction and not be slipping and sliding all over the place. Great views on top of McGee Pass. Hiking through Fish Creek was amazing. I absolutely love basins like this above the tree line -granite everywhere, jagged peaks dotted with snow all around, trees clusters scattered about and water flowing every which way. The mosquitoes were very bad in this area though so we never stopped for too long unfortunately. Only way to keep them at bay was to keep on walking. Made it to the JMT junction early afternoon. When we got up towards Squaw Lake it started dumping hail. Our first storm in the Sierras! I thought it was awesome. Others in the group not so much. haha The hail actually stung when it came down so we hid out under a tree til it subsided. The sound of thunder is so intense being up at 10,000. We then broke off the JMT and camped near Papoose Lake. So about dinner. Before we had started the trip, my cousin from Texas said he was going to serve us all Red Beans and Rice. Some southern cooking. Well this bonehead brought regular rice (not instant) so the meal took forever to cook. Then repeat the process for the next 2 people. So we burned through practically a canister of gas and hour + to cook the meals. All the while the rice still ended up being crunchy. Note to self, no more Southern cooking. All in all did about 14 miles that day with 3,217ft gain
2.jpg
Red and White Mountain

3.jpg
Big McGee Lake
6.jpg
Looking back towards Little McGee Lake still frozen over
4.jpg
Still so much snow in mid August!
5.jpg
Coming down into Fish Creek towards the Silver Divide
7.jpg
Fish Creek Basin I guess this would be called

Day 3 - Woke up and decided since we were so close to Silver Pass may as well march up and check it out. Then we had a decision to make about how to get to Purple Lake (Our next camp site). Should we backtrack on the JMT to Tully Hole and continue on towards Purple Lake. Or take the Trail that goes thru Lake of the Lone Indian thru Jackson Meadow up Purple Creek to Purple Lake. We decided for the latter to see new terrain but looking back, this probably wasn't the most wise decision. Until the switchbacks up Purple Creek (which was most the day) it was a lot of tree hiking with no expansive views. So made it to Purple Lake in late afternoon. They have many established campsites with fire pits. So we were able to have a fire and even caught 4 fish! 13.1 miles 2,436ft
8.jpg
Chief Lake- me on the left
9.jpg
Silver Pass looking South
10.jpg
Purple Lake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stringbop on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
stringbop
Topix Acquainted

Re: TR: McGee Pass to Lake George 8/17/17 - 8/20/17

Post by stringbop »

Day 4- So we had 11+ miles back to the car with only one decision to make. After splitting off the JMT at Duck Lake should we take the Mammoth Crest Trail or the Duck Pass Trail to Lake George. We decided to stay high and take the Crest Trail. Glad we did. Insane views every which way. The trail was hard to find at first as the map had it in the wrong place. But with somebody's help, he pointed us in the right direction and we were on it in no time. We made it back to the car by early afternoon. Took a dip in Lake George to get all the scum off. Then grabbed a burger at Burger Barn. All in all I think a great trip for beginners backpacking. Not too much elevation gain on any day and we traveled through some awesome High Sierra Country. Final Day - 11.7 miles, 2,238ft

Map of our route https://caltopo.com/m/BDKD

11.jpg
JMT looking out towards Silver Divide
12.jpg
Duck Lake
13.jpg
Mammoth Crest Trail
14.jpg
Banner and Ritter on the horizon
15.jpg
Crystal Crag
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

Great trip report (and photos). The “rice cooking” part of the story is hilarious #-o
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I appreciated your trip report. Pretty pictures and nice narrative!

My daughter and I did a Labor Day hike to Big McGee Lake just a couple of weeks after your trip. It looked exactly the same, and had some of the thickest mosquitoes I've encountered in the Sierra. I chuckled a little as you mentioned them on the other side of the pass. I was stunned to have such a mosquito problem in September.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

Great TR and pictures! Thanks for the inspiration.