Yosemite - 2 Night Trip - Mid April Suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tgk5007
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Yosemite - 2 Night Trip - Mid April Suggestions

Post by tgk5007 »

Hi!

I'm hoping to get some folks' recommendations for a great 2-night backpacking trip in the Yosemite region. I'll be going April 19 - 21. My primary focus will be photography. I have ice axe and crampons w/ solid experience traversing snow, but not necessarily looking for anything too crazy or dangerous. I know the area is covered in a lot of snow right now! Anyways - thanks!

Best,
Tom
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite - 2 Night Trip - Mid April Suggestions

Post by bobby49 »

April 19-21 is kind of an awkward time of the year. It will still be winter in the higher elevations, yet it will be summer in the lower elevations. You have to decide whether you want to photograph snow scenes or wildflowers. Besides, only some of the roads will be open. The only sure-fire place to go is Hetch Hetchy. There, the hazard will be fast water.
tgk5007
Topix Novice

Post by tgk5007 »

I would love to get some snow photography! Trying to figure out - would the Rim trails be passable this time?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

The Yosemite Valley Rim has trails in the sun and in the shade. So, parts will be very messy. I don't generally go along the rim until late June of a normal year. The south rim has a lot more shade, and the north rim has a few sunny areas.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

One Idea: backpack to Little Yosemite Valley, and then day-hike from LYV to Clouds Rest. You'll definitely need snow and/or ice gear. See my TR from last year: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =1&t=18047
chulavista
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by chulavista »

How in shape are you? Maybe watkins up snow creek. No sketchy snow bridges that way. You are cool with snow camping right?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The buttress east of Watkins has a much better view. I did this trip last year, camped on top. See my trip report. I will try to find it and bumpit up.
tgk5007
Topix Novice

Post by tgk5007 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:07 pm The buttress east of Watkins has a much better view. I did this trip last year, camped on top. See my trip report. I will try to find it and bumpit up.
Hey @Wandering Daisy I would love if you could send that link! I'm thinking of doing 2 nights in Little Yosemite Valley with a day trip to Clouds Rest. I really want to test out my new Sony camera and glass in the snow.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

A day trip to Clouds Rest means 22 miles and 6000+ feet of gain - like Half Dome x 2. You must be 10x more athletic than me.

edit: ah, staying in LYV. Didn't connect the dots, guess I'll get more coffee. Be careful, prolly still snow and ice up there
ragedaemon
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by ragedaemon »

Would you mind posting a trip report? Planning on a 2 night trip to Yosemite next week as well--would love to hear about your trip!