Backpacking with parents (Rafferty Creek to Happy Isles)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacking with parents (Rafferty Creek to Happy Isles)

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Since you already have a permit, I would stick with it. As said before, you can shorten days by skipping Clouds Rest and simply continue on down along the Merced River, which is nice except for a short distance of old forest fire burn. The trail over Volgalsang Pass is prettier and if on the second day your parents are doing well, that would be preferred. Markskor's plan sounds pretty good to me. If your permit does not allow camping at Little Yosemite Valley, camp in the little valley above Bunnel Cascades, near the bridge. Walking all the way out from Merced Lake would be a lot.

Sit down and figure out the miles and elevation gain/loss each day on the route and see if it sounds reasonable. One mile per hour would be a good slow pace with 10 minute rest per hour with a lot of shoes off-wiggle toes rests. I think your original plan can succeed if you keep your parent's packs light and you carry most of the food and a 3 person tent. Because of late snow melt this year, you will likely have some mosquitoes, so be sure to bring head nets and repellant.

If instead, Cloud's Rest is a major objective, see if you can get a first-come permit to enter the Cathedral Lakes TH or from Tenaya Lake and skip Merced Lake. Getting a permit for 3 people, however, may be difficult.
stephen_s
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Backpacking with parents (Rafferty Creek to Happy Isles)

Post by stephen_s »

Yep! Wandering Daisy, I think that's what we'll do. I also like the potential option of hiking on the third or fourth day from Merced area to Sunrise area and then do a day hike of Clouds Rest before exiting at Tenaya Lake. That way we skip the big downhill into the Valley.