Modified JMT suggestions (back on after two years)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Modified JMT suggestions (back on after two years)

Post by MountainMinstrel »

This year I will finally have enough time off to do something I have always dreamed of doing...the JMT...well a version of it anyway.

I've been on Whitney three times now and I've gone from Tuolumne Meadows to the valley so I'm planning to start in TM and exit Cottonwood lakes (hitting Langley on the way). Planning for around three weeks with resupplies at VVR and Roads End. I know that RE is out of the way but my wife is going to bring my resupply there and two weeks will be more time than we have spent apart in 30 years or so. Plus, I've been through Rae Lakes before.

I will be getting a walk up permit and will have limited time to hit the trail (my wife has Sundays and Mondays off so I have to be sure to hit RE on one of those days). This is where I have a question. if I can't get a permit from TM I noticed that about 3 miles East of TM I can hit the trail at Dana Creek (or is it Fork) and take it to Gem Lake and then cut over to catch the JTM at Rush Creek. This will take me around Donohue pass and it's quotas. It will add 3-6 miles (depending on a hitch to the TH from TM) and maybe 1000 ft of elevation gain, but it will give me a couple of days of solitude.

What are your thoughts?
Last edited by MountainMinstrel on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Modified JMT suggestions

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The route from Tuolumne to Gem Lake via Alger Lakes, your Plan B, is a wonderful route. I did it 6/29 2010 (107% snow, but late melting ). There was a lot of snow. I camped at Alger Lakes. You have to get over Parker Pass before camping is legal. Gem Pass was steep snow. This year similar conditions may be a few weeks later. The photo below is looking towards the PCT. But you would have just as much snow from Donohue Pass. No problem late season but expect snow until late July.

You could also go in from Silver Lake to Gem Lake, with no snow until west end of Waugh Lake. Shorter route but you would miss Alger Lakes. Either route would likely not have permit problems.
Merge4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wandering Daisy on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Your proposed route out of TM is what I would do. Also I would do a resupply at Red’s Meadow to make your first trail days as light as possible.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Another option is the Walker Lake Trail, that takes you up to Sardine Lakes the first night, then you can hike over Parker Pass top Gem Lake. Lovely country
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Thanks for the input. BTW I'll be starting in the middle of August.
Mike, TM will be my first option for sure. As for resupplying at Red's meadow. Money is tight so I'll save the cost of shipping that for some cold ones at VVR. My last few trips have been with 10 days of food so I think I'll be OK with 6 or 7.

Daisy, as always your advise is awesome. Since I'll be coming in on YARTS, Silver Lake probably won't work and I want to cover as much of the JMT proper as possible. I am pleased to know that plan B is doable.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

MountainMinstrel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:32 pm This year I will finally have enough time off to do something I have always dreamed of doing...the JMT...well a version of it anyway.
This is where I have a question. if I can't get a permit from TM I noticed that about 3 miles East of TM I can hit the trail at Dana Creek (or is it Fork) and take it to Gem Lake and then cut over to catch the JTM at Rush Creek. This will take me around Donohue pass and it's quotas. It will add 3-6 miles (depending on a hitch to the TH from TM) and maybe 1000 ft of elevation gain, but it will give me a couple of days of solitude.
What are your thoughts?
Not 3 miles...closer to 7. Anyway, as the local shuttle bus does not run anymore up to the Parker Pass TH - (used to run 3Xs a day to the Tioga gate), and the YARTS runs only west in the mornings... you can always hitch but...
I'll extend this offer to all you HST cretins. As my store shift does not start till ~11:30, drop by the TM store the day before, and would be glad to shuttle you and one other, next morning ...anywhere starting in TM... Parker Pass to Sunrise/Tenaya Lake THs. My cost - a grill breakfast...BTW, I pay 1/2 price for me and any guests along.
Drop me a PM if -
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Mark you are awesome. If I have to go with plan B I will most certainly take you up on that offer. I'm pretty sure I'll have a guitar this trip so maybe we can get a jam going?
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Going out of Dana Meadows, over Koip Peak Pass to Alger lakes is a great way to go. And you can do an easy scramble to the top of Koip Peak on the way.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I didn't look at the permit page myself but I'll ask the question. Do the other trailheads mentioned include a Donahue Pass permit?
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

gary c. wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 am Do the other trailheads mentioned include a Donahue Pass permit?
No, as you would be bypassing Donohue. The Mono/Parker Pass TH is a Yosemite-issued permit.
The ones starting at Silver Lake (“Rush Creek TH”) mentioned by W.D. , and from Walker Lake via Sardine Lakes (“Bloody Canyon TH”) -mentioned by balzaccom - are Inyo National Forest permits, btw.