Pass Between Upper Dumbell and Upper Amphitheatre

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tombuchta2@gmail.com
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Pass Between Upper Dumbell and Upper Amphitheatre

Post by tombuchta2@gmail.com »

I'm planning a trip through from Taboose to Lakes Basin via Cartridge to Dumbell, Amphitheatre and out Upper Basin Pass. However looking at the maps I wondered about a likely looking pass between Upper Dumbell and the Lake above Amphitheatre instead of Cataract. Has anyone explored this possibility?
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Pass Between Upper Dumbell and Upper Amphitheatre

Post by CAMERONM »

Are you talking about the likely-looking pass almost immediately to the east of upper Dumbell? No, I have not done it, but some of those north facing contours look challenging to me. Either not passable or class 3?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have always wondered about that too. The entire east facing wall looks pretty ugly on Google Earth. It appears to have downward sloping broken cliffs at the top and loose crud lower. Approaching the pass from the west also looks tedious - lots of either talus on south shore or cliffy on north shore. Cataract Pass looks pretty bad too with the cornice. I did Cataract without the cornice and it went fine. Depending on where you are going after you get down that pass (if you could) I am not sure it would save much. I would also think if it were a better pass than Cataract someone would have done it.

Here is a photo of the east side. Sorry it is such a poor picture. The same cliffy stuff as seen right of the arrow, continues on the section that you cannot see on the photo. It is not a talus gully all the way up.
IMG_6934_UpperLks_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tombuchta2@gmail.com
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tombuchta2@gmail.com »

Yep that's the one. The picture is pretty persuasive. Depending on snow I may wind up going down Cataract Ck itself.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

Previous discussion, also in a high snow year: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16711&p=125974#p125974

View from Upper Basin Crossing, September 2013, a low snow year (click to enlarge):
DSC00328-dumphi-pass-crop.jpeg
Same trip, different angle:
DSC00355-dumphi-pass-crop.jpeg
September 2017, a high snow year:
DSC28826-dumphi-pass-crop.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.