reserving SEKI permits - RE: e-mail submittal timing

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: reserving SEKI permits - RE: e-mail submittal timing

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Great article that has been cited, even though it focused on campground camping permits. For the computer savvy it is an advantage; for the rest of us just a bigger barrier to get into the wilderness. I land on the side of "not fair". It certainly opens up a lot of opportunity for abuse.

I am not fond of "Reserve America". If you pay for your site, and do not show up, and do not request a refund, then the site often remains empty, even when there are many waiting to get in. At least for wilderness permits, if you do not pick it up by a certain time, it goes into the "first come" pile.

Just a reminder that cancelling permits that you cannot use is the right thing to do. It is quite easy now with computers and gives others a chance to reserve that permit or for it to become a first-come permit.
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gregodorizzi »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:59 am Above examples are why I do not reserve. I think the reservation system has become counter-productive, perhaps even corrupt and adds to anxiety. I prefer the lottery system where everyone applies in a one-month slot, winners are randomly selected.

I wonder if there is an "APP" out there that manages your phone or computer to get the first slot. And if it does, and you pay for the APP, then is that legal? It is beginning to sound like the stock market where the average person cannot compete with the computerized trading.
I agree with the criticism and would add that the reservation system seems to have made backpacking (and regular campgrounds) less accessible. In years past, I had confidence that a permit (or campground) could be obtained upon arrival, but now I have to plan months in advance, and if I'm not quick enough, all of the reservations are gone. It's made spur-of-the-moment trips very difficult, if not impossible, when I do things with my family. If it's only me, I can be flexible, but still...I yearn for the days of old.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Gregodorizzi, I agree! The new system is not serving us. If it did, it would not allow any modifications. Campers would have to cancel and make a new reservation. The whole point of eliminating the first day of the month rush was to make it easier to get a campsite. Allowing two modifications negates it.

Over time, the California State Parks website has changed its description of the reservation system:

2000:
allows campers to plan ahead and secure their campsites, thus reducing long waiting lines and turn-aways at park entrances. All campers receive fair access to state parks campgrounds.
2019:
provides more user-friendly web services and greater accessibility to more visitors for highly sought-after camping and lodging locations in the Golden State.
How ironic that a system that was supposed to make it easier for us to reserve a campsite has failed to do so. :(

The second issue you mention, last minute camping, I feel the same way. In the early to mid 2000s, online news articles advertising the parks made it difficult to get a same day campsite. Once social media took over, it became almost impossible.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

gregodorizzi wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 am It's made spur-of-the-moment trips to popular destinations very difficult
FYP.

Last year I only took one trip requiring a permit reservation ahead of time. The rest of my once a month trips were either walk-ups, self reservation, or day hiking.

California's crowded.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Stop going to popular destinations. People bother me about "taking me to Whitney/Half Dome" - I tell them, you don't need me as a security blanket, there will be hundreds of other people, just show up and go. I refuse to bother with the permit system, thanks. There are MORE SCENIC places. You just don't want to go there because when you post on Facebook and say "I JUST STOOD ON TOP OF MAXSON DOME" instead of 100s of people screaming EPIC you get a few people who say cool, bro and a bunch who say "what's that?"
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gregodorizzi »

c9h13no3 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:12 am
gregodorizzi wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 am It's made spur-of-the-moment trips to popular destinations very difficult
FYP.

Last year I only took one trip requiring a permit reservation ahead of time. The rest of my once a month trips were either walk-ups, self reservation, or day hiking.

California's crowded.
I was misquoted above. I didn't refer to popular destinations. No biggie, just wanted to clarify.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

c9h13no3 needs to quit "fixing" posts.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

rlown wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am c9h13no3 needs to quit "fixing" posts.
Agreed.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

bobby49 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:24 am
rlown wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am c9h13no3 needs to quit "fixing" posts.
Agreed.
I concur.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

This is old news kids. Also, I will not get off your lawn.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fyp
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.