Fatal Fall from cables on Half Dome

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Buck, maybe it's like Mt. Everest. People I think just keep going up because that's what they came for and they're not going to let anything stop them. The good news is that a lot of people got scared and wanted to get down after they saw him fall. So it's probably not too many people who kept going like nothing happened. Most people were human and turned around.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

I wouldn't have wanted to go on after witnessing a fall like that. It's not that I would be scared to.... more the case of knowing that the trip was done at that point. The energy would have totally changed, and there would be no joy in getting to the top.

I guess I can understand people continuing on while climbing Everest... they've trained for months, invested a huge amount of money, and traveled half way around the world - it's most likely a once-in-a-lifetime chance.... but Half Dome or Mt. Shasta will always be there, and it's basically in our back yard.

I've been up Half Dome 6 times and I've NEVER seen lines like that, Alpenbro!! Wow!! :eek: But we've always timed our trips to go up mid-week. I don't think I'd want to get caught in that mess!
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierranomad »

I saw lines like that a couple of years ago. I decided to just enjoy the views from the shoulder. Being in a line like that would just take all the fun out of it.