TR: North Lake to South Lake via Lamarck Col 7/18-23/2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: North Lake to South Lake via Lamarck Col 7/18-23/2018

Post by maiathebee »

wildhiker wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:07 am Trying to get some solitude at Hamilton, I climbed up the south slope aways to find a level spot for my tent before the storm hit. Was surprised to find that my spot did not drain well! It was a terrific rain for about an hour and I ended up with the rear end of my tent in a 3 inch deep puddle. Forturnately, the tent did not leak as I was furiously bailing the puddle with a plastic basin for about 20 minutes. The good thing about the storm at Hamilton Lake is that it generated at least six ephemeral waterfalls on the cirque walls around the lake with large flows of water over big drops. By sunset, they were dried up. Did you see any ephemeral falls like that?
-Phil
Yeah, sometimes that drainage can be a bit unpredictable! I was lucky my spot was draining so no bailing for me. We did see a couple ephemeral falls but mostly it just pumped up the rest of the falls.
CAMERONM wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:46 am I assumed that the deer engaged in herd behavior and made the unfortunate mistake of following the wrong leader over the edge.
Someone recently linked me to this blog post that has a lot more info about the deer https://sierrabighorn.blogspot.com/2017 ... Dv4gQ_us1A gonna update my post!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

c9h13no3 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:55 am +1000 points for hiking boots and a dress
-100 points for all non-dress wearers
haha, right?? Jessica is such a boss. I never wear dresses or shorts backpacking b/c I like to have my legs protected from sun, bugs, and scrapes, but I *do* have quite a few running skirts that get worn on day hikes! Do I get a few points for that? :P
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

maiathebee, great trip report, as always. Thank you for sharing!

Mike M.
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jason »

That was a fantasic report and incredibly inspiring!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

When you were camping on Dusy Basin trail taking flower shots, that cute little stalk of white flowers is the Sierra Crane Orchid Plantantheria dilatata. One of the few terrestrial orchids in the Sierra Nevada.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

You got some awesome light for this trip, nice photos.
I gave a ride to a couple JMT hikers about a week later, they were still talking about the hail storm that hit them on Muir Pass (probably the same one that hit you).

thanks for the detailed report and great photos
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

@maiathebee Thanks for sharing this trip report. Your photos are excellent! Really... the landscape shots at dusk, the macro wildflower shots, and your camp shots... it sparked nostalgia for past trips I've enjoyed, and I felt inspired about this summer.