Spring Sierra High Route :)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mavrick
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Spring Sierra High Route :)

Post by mavrick »

Hey guys!

Sooooooo.... looking to do the Sierra High Route from North to South Starting late July.
I've done some big peaks / extended glaicer travails before... but anyone got any actual idea for how crazy this trip actually is?

Thanks and please, be gentle.

- Mav
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: Spring Sierra High Route :)

Post by AlmostThere »

"Crazy" depends upon your skill set. Also how late all that snow finishes melting. Also what you actually mean by "crazy" since it's generally a word that means whatever the person using it thinks it means, which is variable from person to person. People I have met look at me like I'm crazy for going camping, in a campground....

Interesting nom de plume...

The high route is probably a use trail by now, though of course it's still possible to get off route and into some class 3-5 stuff.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Late July ain't spring, you'll be fine. The snow travel won't be insane.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

The two major factors to consider for any year for which you will not have an answer at the moment are the solidity of the remaining snow, and the amount of water runoff. When I started the SHR in in June 2017, it was a big snow year but the snow had settled and I was able to cruise with crampons everywhere. Last year I started another hike in June on a lot of snow and I had major problems post-holing because the snow was fresher and softer, for which the only remedies are to take snow shoes, or wait until more melts. With a lot of snow comes a lot of water flow with a very few difficult creek crossings. Same thing, you'll just have to wait and see where things are then. With the amount of snow there is now, another big late storm could possibly extend the big melt-off into late July. Even in this big snow year chances are very likely however that late July will be just fine. Then of course we have not mentioned the mosquitos...
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am not sure you are only asking about the dates planned this year, given the snow, or the SHR in general. I will assume the latter. Obviously, this year 2-3 weeks later would be better. I think the biggest issue is how much you like doing long thru-routes. And it definitely helps to be a light-weight backpacker, not necessarily UL. Nothing says you cannot detour some of the harder, slower parts if you get behind. At many points you can easily bail out to the JMT. I think the route is epic, even with a few detours. I would not get too hung up on "purity" of route.

I did the SHR in 2010 starting August 2 and it was a 107% snowpack year. I started north-to-south and then switched south to north due to logistics involved with my husband joining me and car logistics, not because of conditions. Overall, the route can be as hard as you want to make it. I did a leisurely 30-day trip. Most people do a 21 day route. I liked the north start because my first leg was only 4 days and then I picked up food that I stashed at the bear boxes at Tuolumne. I did not even stay the night- just picked up the food and kept going. There are more use-trails developed along the route now, but I certainly would not understate the overall difficulty of the route. The use-trails have taken away some of the harder route-finding issues, but the hard parts (passes) are as hard as ever.

The ranger at Bridgeport said I would not need an ice axe or crampons for the first leg- he was wrong! I sure would have liked traction devices. I had to wait for sun to soften the snow on the first pass, then had to detour the next pass due to snow. Problem with late season lingering snow is that it is hard as rock and gets icy until the sun softens the surface. Same problem with the route between Iceberg Lake and Cecile Lake- I had to sit and wait for 3 hours for the snow to soften, fortunately a big group went up just ahead of me, making good steps.

Hard to say if staring south-to-north would be a better plan this year. You probably would have less snow staring at Roads End but a more strenuous start. Frozen Lake Pass may require ice axe that early this year.

I would say go for it! If after the first leg, you do not like it, nothing says you have to keep going. Another idea is simply to flip-flop. The middle section can be done from North Lake to Mammoth, or reverse, and I think it is the easiest section. Then go up north and do Twin Lakes to Mammoth, or reverse. Then go south and finish North Lake to Cedar Grove. You would need someone to help with transportation. I ended up flop-flopping; 1) Twin Lakes to Mammoth, 2) North Lake to Mammoth, 3) Roads End to North Lake. South Lake also makes a good resupply point.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Mav

Just remember that snow at high elevations that time of the year is likely to have giant suncups. Remember my late july trip to Tunemah in 2011. If I slipped and each leg got into a suncup I was high centered!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

I've section hiked the SHR that lies between Tuolumne and Frozen Lake. Some of it following big snow years, some in drought years. I prefer the big snow years, but mid August or later vs. July when the snow is well compacted. Late season microspikes and hiking staffs are sufficient for traction.

The trip isn't crazy...provided you have experience navigating off trail routes, and some familiarity with the Sierra. Of what I've hiked my only route finding challenge was (not) finding Nancy Pass and resultingly crossing at a more challenging col.

And ditto Wandering Daisy's recommendation to hike light, agreeing not necessarily UL, but I wouldn't want to be managing much more than 30lbs over any section. So plan you kit and food resupplies accordingly. Tuolumne, Red Meadow are easy. The next most convenient would be VVR, then North Lake, then South Lake. (don't need all of these depending on your pace)

Also agree with her description of "epic".
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Don't feel bad about missing the route up Nancy Pass; I did too! :o I have an excuse- was wearing a mosquito net, facing the sun (since I did it north-to-south) and everything was a blur with all those nasty beasts scrambling my brain. Starting end of July, this year, unfortunately WILL put you smack in the middle of mosquitos.