newbie wants to take short hike to fishing hole

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Skibum
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Skibum »

Hey there Mr. FishingWishing,

Where would you be driving from? And what type of fishing? Fly, or conventional? If from Fresno or Visalia, The Kings River would be a good start. Not alot of hiking other then along the river. I would try the Grizzly Falls area or on up to Cedar Grove.

There's always Hume Lake. Huge, Fat, grain fed farm fish. ;)

Good luck!
fishingwishing
Topix Novice

Post by fishingwishing »

Thanks for the additional hints. All sound pretty inviting. Just need more time off work (like retirement!) to be able to do them all. Did go to Roads End today, but never got on the trail as it was almost dark by the time I got there. Fishing that Kings River is awesome, though! I will return. Thanks again!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

How are the flows on the Kings near Cedar Grove right now? That's a late summer/early fall favorite of mine, although with this dry winter we've had it's probably good right now as well.
fishingwishing
Topix Novice

Post by fishingwishing »

Geez, you're asking the wrong person. I'm the newbie, remember? Well, there was a good amount of water, lots of small 'falls' and white water, but not too high that I couldn't find a place to stand (or sit) and fish from the banks. And there were fish in there! A nice pan-sized brown made my day! As for the official flows/levels, I'm afraid you have to ask someone else. Yes, it is a great place to fish! (Next time I won't get so distracted and start at the end of the road on the hike!)