Ediza, Garnet, 1000 Island Questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Ediza, Garnet, 1000 Island Questions

Post by balzaccom »

Although many people ignored it, the East end of TIL was closed to camping when we were there a few years ago...you had to hike past the peninsulas on either side.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Using the previous map - his route in blue...mine in red.
This red route, have done multiple times...easy...just my suggestion for that portion between Garnet to Island Pass.
#1 - where the obvious use trail over the pass to TI starts SW Garnet...just behind big rock.
#2 - my Island...deep channels and good fishing on 3 sides
#3 - If going on to (or coming down from) Donahue and TM, no good reason to follow the (even though a good) use trail back to the mouth of TI. Instead, just follow the small stream coming down from Island Pass...pick up the JMT north there.
mark
R red.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Thanks. I hadn't really thought about alternatives, but I may just use your route when I'm in the area at the end of July.
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

Robow, your route sounds great and the fishing will be excellent. I've taken Scout-aged youth and leaders up around those parts for many trips, and you're hitting all the right spots.

That said, be advised that the climb up to Shadow Lake can be a buster for inexperienced backpackers. You mentioned that your grandson has camped with Scouts, but if this hasn't included backpack treks at altitude... just leave early and take it slow.

The best part of your route can be the finish, and you're going to benefit from something I always do by exiting via the High Trail: descending to the trailhead. Nothing better to make for a great last day!
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I haven't been around much these last few days. We had pet problems which led to having to put our cat down.
S9 - Our grandson lives in Utah at 5000 feet, so I'm hoping that helps out. Plus, we're staying in Mammoth for 2 nights for a little more help. And me and my wife are plenty slow, but we just keep chugging!
Someone talked about going up to Iceberg lake from Ediza. That is definitely on our itinerary.
The maps are helpful.
And Markskor, that was a great story, very Hemingway-esque!