dogs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Post Reply
User avatar
rlown
Topix Docent
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Wilton, CA

Re: dogs

Post by rlown » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:47 am

bobby49 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:27 pm
In two days she has already chewed through one dog harness.
go with a collar. After all, that is where the tags should be attached.








User avatar
bobby49
Topix Expert
Posts: 846
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:17 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: dogs

Post by bobby49 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:01 am

Some of my dog friends report that they keep a simple collar on the dog with tags. Then for on-leash walking, they apply a harness for extra security and comfort. Of course, for backpacking that will have to change again to be a dog pack (saddlebags). I think that I will look for an extra strong harness, like leather or something.

User avatar
bobby49
Topix Expert
Posts: 846
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:17 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: dogs

Post by bobby49 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:10 am

sekihiker wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:11 am
When it rained and I wanted to keep hiking, I just stuck her in the front pocket of my anorak. She was very adjustable.
This new Border Collie weighs forty pounds, and that lump is too large to put into a front pocket. For most dogs that have a thick coat, they don't really need a lot of extra insulation, but a simple rain cape will keep the rain off their front half. I can make one out of Silnylon. I would like to avoid most of that wet dog smell.

User avatar
rlown
Topix Docent
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Wilton, CA

Re: dogs

Post by rlown » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:11 am

I guess learning is part of the game. Leather will be chewed faster than whatever harness you use. Not sure what you mean by security and comfort with a harness. The key to keep them from chewing on stuff is to say "NO!" and/or keep them busy enough to keep their mind off the harness.

I'll pull out my gear for the dog and take a picture. It will point out that taking a dog with you backpacking adds weight.

Once Simba arrived, everything on the floor was fair game: slippers, socks, towels (he still steals those), toilet paper (on the roll), drinking from the toilet, etc.

He doesn't do any of that anymore. I got him in August 2018. They need a rhythm/schedule established to learn what and what not to do.
Still, It is a fun process.

User avatar
maiathebee
Topix Regular
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:59 am
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: dogs

Post by maiathebee » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:20 pm

rlown wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:47 am
bobby49 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:27 pm
In two days she has already chewed through one dog harness.
go with a collar. After all, that is where the tags should be attached.
I'm a fan of a two-part system. A collar that is worn all the time and is where the collar is attached, then either an additional collar for the leash or a harness for the leash. This way if the dog manages to slip out of the leashed collar or harness, they are still wearing their tags.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love

User avatar
rlown
Topix Docent
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Wilton, CA

Re: dogs

Post by rlown » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:22 pm

I have two collars. One has the tags for around town, and the other is for waterfowl hunting; no tags. Afterall Simba is chipped.
He only wears one at a time.

User avatar
bobby49
Topix Expert
Posts: 846
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:17 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: dogs

Post by bobby49 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:07 pm

rlown wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:11 am
I guess learning is part of the game. Leather will be chewed faster than whatever harness you use. Not sure what you mean by security and comfort with a harness. The key to keep them from chewing on stuff is to say "NO!" and/or keep them busy enough to keep their mind off the harness.

I'll pull out my gear for the dog and take a picture. It will point out that taking a dog with you backpacking adds weight.

Once Simba arrived, everything on the floor was fair game: slippers, socks, towels (he still steals those), toilet paper (on the roll), drinking from the toilet, etc.

He doesn't do any of that anymore. I got him in August 2018. They need a rhythm/schedule established to learn what and what not to do.
Still, It is a fun process.
Security means that the harness can't break or fall apart from chewing. Comfort is related. If the harness seems to cut in on the dog, then it tries to chew it off to reduce the irritation. So far, this dog does not understand her name, SIT, FETCH, DOWN, COME, or any words. She's a Border Collie, so maybe she only understands Gaelic. She herds me back and forth inside the house.

My current thinking is that the dog should not change the backpacking load very much. If the dog carries its own dry food in saddlebags, then I can carry a few ounces of foam ground pad and a few ounces of fluffy synthetic dog blanket. A collapsible dog bowl weighs almost zero. Dog booties can't weigh much, so they can go into the saddlebags. The leash weight will be shared between us. The dog does not use trekking poles.

User avatar
maiathebee
Topix Regular
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:59 am
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: dogs

Post by maiathebee » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:48 pm

rlown wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:22 pm
I have two collars. One has the tags for around town, and the other is for waterfowl hunting; no tags. Afterall Simba is chipped.
He only wears one at a time.
My dogs are also chipped. Chips are not always easy to find (they can migrate) and they depend on the person who finds your dog knowing that microchips are a thing and being willing to take the dog to a vet to get it read, and that your data in the chip database is up to date. But if there are tags on a collar, any old fool can tell how to reach you. You might consider getting soundless tags for your hunting collar. They make ones now that you just loop over the collar, they don't dangle down and don't make sound. Like these.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love

User avatar
rlown
Topix Docent
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Wilton, CA

Re: dogs

Post by rlown » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:08 pm

phone number is written on the inside of his collars and his neoprene hunting vest. I think I'm good to go. If you want to steal my dog and not take it to a vet, good luck to you!

User avatar
bobby49
Topix Expert
Posts: 846
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:17 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: dogs

Post by bobby49 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:18 pm

rlown wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:08 pm
phone number is written on the inside of his collars and his neoprene hunting vest.
Yes, but does the dog have a hunting license?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], sekihiker and 7 guests