dogs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: dogs

Post by Wandering Daisy »

kdbobo2- can you show us a photo of your border collie? Or put it on the "show your dog" thread. Where did you go in Emigrant? We have taken our dog to Kennedy Lake, early season to fish. The trail was easy on her paws. Some of the Emigrant trails are brutal on paws- full of sharp rocks.

Perhaps my exact wording was wrong. I should have used something like "willful" instead of dominance. Our border collie definitely went though a period of being very willful and stubborn, to test us if we really meant what we said. She still has a very strong independence streak in her personality. Again, did not mean "push" into any position. Just a gently but firm hand so they understand what to do. As for treats, we use people food. She would do anything for a small slice of salami. After her initial training we weaned her off treats so now she just wants a kiss or scratch behind the ear, in fact does not particularly even expect a "reward". She knows that "good dog" means approval and "no" means disapproval, no yelling needed.

Our dog is definitely an "alpha" female. In fact she lifts her leg and pees like a boy dog! This has caused a few problems when she meets another alpha personality. They seem to work it out, but not until there is an initial tiff. Twice she has given another dog the border collie "eye" and they pulled the leash out of their owners hand and a brawl ensued. Lots of teeth showing and growls but no actual biting. Because of this, I now just move her off the trail, have her lie down and keep her eyes fixed on me when we meet another dog. She has had plenty of doggie socialization classes, but this is just her personality. So we work around it.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

I'm pretty sure that in my afterlife I'll just be hiking with all of my dogs.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Well, Simba just did 6 entries on his own to the pool and even went to the deep end for fun. I think he's figured out that he floats, and I was in the pool the first entry, trying to get him to use his hind legs. Then, I couldn't get him out of the pool :)
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

rlown wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:00 pm Well, Simba just did 6 entries on his own to the pool and even went to the deep end for fun. I think he's figured out that he floats, and I was in the pool the first entry, trying to get him to use his hind legs. Then, I couldn't get him out of the pool :)
I'll bet you can't get him to float on his back.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

My friend actually had a lab that would fetch at the bottom of the pool (deep end.)
Black Lab named Sierra.. :)
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

I have never left my dogs behind and would feel unsafe without them. They are good at navigation, great for giving an early warning if people or critters approach camp, keep me warm and are good company. They hiked with me since they were small pups and have backpacked from Lassen to the Sierra.
I too have had rude people let their dogs attack mine. My heart goes out to you and your dog tarbuckle since I have had my own pit encounter. However, I blame the people, NOT the dogs. Once my daughter was almost pushed off a narrow ridge by two out of control malamutes with the man dragging behind them. It was scary and unsafe and wanted to kill the man for endangering my daughter and dog. That said, once I get out of the front country, I have found most people and their dogs to be quite polite and safe.
Here is how I go:
My dogs are on leash unless the footing is too difficult and I must unleash them. They are hunters and it is not fair to the wildlife, in my opinion. They carry about 20% of their body weight in their packs. I use freeze dried dog food, very expensive but MUCH lighter than kibble and very nutritious. I use booties from Mountain Ridge in Maine when we are on lava or day after day on granite. I also rub Mushers First Aid or Joshua Tree Climber's Salve into their feet if we are doing multi day trips of more than 25 miles. They always sleep with me and when it is cold, they share my foam pad in the summer and down inflatable in the snow. I am not a risk taker when it comes to creek crossings. If I cannot see the bottom or there is white water, I will not cross. If I can cross, they can. There have been crossings where they must swim for a bit and that works too if the current is not that strong. They are working, not show, samoyeds.
Please take your dog onto MANY front country day hikes, on leash, to test her level of training for both your own safety and the safety of those on the trail. Do not let her off leash until you have had her for many years and hiked with her for hundreds of miles and KNOW that she will always obey. Some dogs can never be of leash. I have one like that: Years of training but cannot be trusted. The only girl of mine that gets to be off leash will turn around and come to me when in pursuit of a squirrel or drop a chicken when told. That is obedience and many dogs can never achieve that level of self discipline. NO dog can have that much self discipline until at least 3 or 4 years old.
Hope that this helps.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Love the Sierra wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:05 pm They are good at navigation
Maybe. My dog only understands two directions, toward home and away from home.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Simba's pre-trip workout before Loon Lake.

He now jumps in the pool without coaxing. Sad that a lab hasn't seen water for 5 years. He's a fast learner, but his back legs.. sigh.. USE THEM!
P8160869.JPG
P8160868.JPG
He has this habit of hitting his left front paw in the water before he goes in. When I was already in the pool, and he would start barking, I would repeat the left paw (my left hand) and he'd go in.

Dogs are so much fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Next you need to train him with SCUBA.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

He's where I want him to be. A year since adoption and the weather cooperated to get him to love water.