dogs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: dogs

Post by bobby49 »

This dog has lived its entire life (4 years, or 28 dog years) on a ranch in the Central Valley. I will get it in another week, and then I need to begin training with it. Hopefully the dog can be ready for a backpacking trip by mid-summer. Border Collies are supposed to be intelligent, but I don't know where the starting point is for this dog.

I had a dog when I was a kid. Then there was a shared dog when I was in the Army. I haven't had a dog since then.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

All dogs are intelligent. It takes time to vet any issues (people, stock, car, etc.) Where is your dog sleeping when you get it?
wreynier
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wreynier »

I also have a border collie. He was 2 yrs old on the first trip we took. While the first trip was great, it was definitely a learning experience. Some general thoughts below, many of which have already been raised.

1) Practice before you go! Use day hikes and neighborhood walks for both physical conditioning and working on essential skills, like voice control, solid recall, avoiding prey chase response, and using gear. It took my dog a few days to get comfortable with his pack unweighted, and a few more days before he was comfortable walking with weight. The first day I put it on he wouldn't move... that would have been a bummer had we been at the trailhead.

2) I travel with treats (I like Zuke's, personally), using positive reinforcement for any new situations (crossing bridges, seeing new wildlife, people approaching). My dog loves people, but sometimes he didn't recognize people as being people when they had on packs, hats, and mosquito headnets... we used treats to correct unexpected behavior. I hadn't thought of it before, but I really like the suggestion about moving off trail, asking for a sit, and waiting for approaching parties to pass, not just for stock, but for everyone.

3) My dog also LOVES water. We typically double ziplock his food and he carries it. So far, no leaks. We also keep him out of the water for a few hours before bed so he can dry out. He also drank from a lot of... questionable.... sources. Ask your vet about the lepto vaccine.

4) Consider their size when planning what tent to take. Our 2-person backpacking tent with a 40-lb dog was TIGHT. Luckily I'm short so we smooshed in, but they do take up space. He slept on my empty pack happy enough, but most of our trips have been warm, so not much insulation needed.

5) Carry a doggy first aid kit - lots of info online.

6) Know your dog and expect the unexpected. Err on the side of caution in how much you trust them in different situations. And remember that as much as we all love to see our furry pals running free and enjoying the trail, not everyone likes dogs or wants them coming up to them, so be respectful and keep your dog close (using voice) or on leash.

Border collies are great and challenging all at once. With a rescue, make your goal to establish trust and a close bond with the dog above anything else, and remember their timeline may be very different from yours. Visit bordercollie.org - lots of great resources and support for a variety of different border collie "isms".
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

rlown wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:27 pm Where is your dog sleeping when you get it?
I still have to work that out. My original idea was to build up a kennel area inside my large garage, and the dog could let itself out into my tiny fenced yard to relieve itself. Also, I can put the dog in the back room of the house, which is not heated. Also, I can put the dog in my computer room, which is heated. My home is all carpet, so I was trying to figure out where the dog would cause the least damage, yet it could find me if it needed.

I have not actually seen the dog yet. That is still coming up in a week. The soft-sided dog crate is due for delivery tomorrow, and the dog bed soon after. For backpacking, I figure that the dog will sleep in one corner of my shelter. I would carry a foam pad and a synthetic dog blanket.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

As far as sleeping, my wife and I have always crated our dogs. Currently we have two dogs that would be too cold outside so their crates are in the warm house. The Lab we had before slept in her crate in the garage until she got old (I really miss her sometimes). At first the dog might be hesitant to go in a crate, but eventually, they begin to view the crate as their home and refuge. I wish I could provide specifics, but my wife is the dog whisperer; i'm just the one that plays and has fun. :-)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Hmm. My dogs sleep on my bed. Simba was crate trained, but that isn't how I roll.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Be sure to post a photo of your new dog!! And let us know how it goes.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

bobby49 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:22 pm
rlown wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:27 pm Where is your dog sleeping when you get it?
I still have to work that out. My original idea was to build up a kennel area inside my large garage, and the dog could let itself out into my tiny fenced yard to relieve itself. Also, I can put the dog in the back room of the house, which is not heated. Also, I can put the dog in my computer room, which is heated. My home is all carpet, so I was trying to figure out where the dog would cause the least damage, yet it could find me if it needed.

I have not actually seen the dog yet. That is still coming up in a week. The soft-sided dog crate is due for delivery tomorrow, and the dog bed soon after. For backpacking, I figure that the dog will sleep in one corner of my shelter. I would carry a foam pad and a synthetic dog blanket.
That concerns me. When we adopted Simba, we spent time with him before the adoption because that is what the adoption required. They even sent a person to our house to inspect that we had collars, leashes, a safe place to play out back, and a big mesh metal crate with bedding.
It was Samantha's crate :(

I liked their approach. They had me put him on a short leash and walk him down and up the road; Fed by hand the first day to know who is in charge, etc.

Simba's crate sits in my office. First day, I had toys laid out in front of it. He systematically moved them into the crate (Good Dog!)

I crated him the first night, but the whimper at 6:30am bugged me, and we moved to the bed. He likes the new setup.

Getting the routine worked out takes a few weeks. Showed him were to potty, learn when he is fed, meet other dogs and people. That takes time and repetition.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Technically, this will not be a new dog. It will be a low-mileage one-owner dog with good fuel economy and good range. Low maintenance, I hope. Nor am I looking for quarter-mile speed performance.

I still have to think about the issue of a dog pack. Some dog owners put a good harness on the dog and then stop. Some use a harness with detachable saddlebags. Some use saddlebags that can be emptied, and then empty water bottles stuck in to be used as a dog flotation device. Some use a dog cape in case of wet weather, because we all know what a stinky wet dog is like. Some use an insulated dog jacket, but many dogs have a thick enough coat that the dog cape is sufficient. Initially I don't need to worry about how much gear the dog carries, although that might become an issue when I get older. A foam sleeping pad for the dog probably won't fit into the dog pack, so I'll have to carry it along with a dog blanket.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Technically, you have to bond with the dog.