dogs

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: dogs

Post by bobby49 »

rlown wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:58 pm
When we adopted Simba, we spent time with him before the adoption because that is what the adoption required. They even sent a person to our house to inspect that we had collars, leashes, a safe place to play out back, and a big mesh metal crate with bedding.
Understood. I first dealt with one dog rescue agency and filled out their adoption application. Now, I can understand that they wanted to know whether I had an apartment, a house, or whatever. I stated that I owned a small townhouse with a small fenced yard. Then they demanded proof that I owned the place. WTF! Did they expect that I would send them a copy of my county property tax bill as proof? The upcoming dog comes from a different source.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I hope the best for you and your new dog. What is it's name? My wife didn't like the name Simba, but that was his name and I kept it as he was familiar with it.

As WD stated, post some pics when you get it.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Yes, the dog is expected to arrive in a week. The first few days will be in establishing our relationship that I am the Alpha Dog with the pouch of meaty treats. Then on-leash walks, an initial visit to the vet, and a visit to the city dog license office. I will wait and see how the dog answers to its given name.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

dog insurance. Get some. I went with ASPCA's plan.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

What if the dog takes a leader fall on a 5th class rock route?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

All I know is, if your dog gets sick, you pay large. One friend had to put pins in his Lab's shoulder. 4k. Another had friends dog ate potpourri. Neural damage. 7k. The later had insurance and it covered most of it. The lab with the pins costed 4k for that.
My dog Samantha had a pituitary problem. No insurance but cost a lot for the drugs.

Before I adopted Simba, my vet actually recommended the insurance before the first visit.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We bought a 1-year "puppy plan", just to cover all the initial expenses and unexpected puppy stuff. We never felt a need to have "adult" doggie insurance. We do the rattlesnake bite vaccination and took here to a rattlesnake avoidance class. We walk her regularly in an area that has rattlesnakes in the summer. OK, this depends a lot on your philosophy of pets and illness. We simply have decided if the dog gets something serious, she goes on doggie hospice. For other more minor issues, we have the means to pay for it when needed. If you will do "anything" to extend the life of your dog, then by all means, get insurance.

Leader fall? :D Post a photo of your dog belaying!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

No, silly, the dog would not be belaying. The dog would be leading. The problem is that dogs can't find proper rock shoes that fit.

I understand about humans and rattlesnakes. Can you tell me about dogs and rattlesnakes, and what this vaccination is about? My understanding is that rattlesnake venom is a hemotoxin, and that should not be affected by a vaccination.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Dogs do not need rock shoes or crampons. They have claws. Wish I had claws!

Sorry, vaccine is the wrong word- it is an anti-venom something that reduces the toxicity of the venom so the dog still gets sick but does not die. Animals under about 50 pounds, be they small children or dogs, can be killed by a rattlesnake bite, whereas, regular sized humans get really sick but rarely die from the venom, unless it is a really large amount of venom. We have a lot of rattlesnakes on the American River parkway and we walk the dog there a lot - I actually hit one while riding my bicycle! Not sure it is worth it for most Sierra hikes, unless you go into a known rattlesnake area such as Tehipite Valley. I run into them all the time in Yosemite. Lots of them in Pate Valley in the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. One on the trail on Rancheria Mountain. Just ask your vet about it. I have found that every vet has different opinions on it. A lot of dogs will naturally avoid rattlesnakes, ours did. The first bear our dog ran into, she also naturally stood still and did not go after it. If they do not then you can take them to classes. Not sure what they do - probably a treat based reward and shock "punishment" or maybe choke chain. They use rattlesnakes in cages.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:09 pm We have a lot of rattlesnakes on the American River parkway and we walk the dog there a lot - I actually hit one while riding my bicycle! Not sure it is worth it for most Sierra hikes, unless you go into a known rattlesnake area such as Tehipite Valley. I run into them all the time in Yosemite. Lots of them in Pate Valley in the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. One on the trail on Rancheria Mountain.
Those rattlesnake-intensive spots tend to be warm areas at lower elevation. I tend to be much more of a high-elevation hiker, so I am hoping that's good with the dog. I've seen rattlesnakes as high as 9000 feet before, but that is rare.

I don't think that the dog would enjoy wearing leather snake chaps.