Langley - Long Lake vs High Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gardn128
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Langley - Long Lake vs High Lake

Post by gardn128 »

My wife and I are planning a weekend summit of Langley in August via New Army Pass (thanks to some good advice on another thread). Last time we attempted this we stayed at Long Lake and not High Lake which made for a longer summit day and a lot of mosquitoes. I thought I remember getting advice against camping at High Lake due to lightning risk in August.

My question to anyone who has done this before - is High Lake recommended for consideration or is there a specific reason why it seems most posts I've read on here have chosen Long Lake over High Lake?

Thanks everyone.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Langley - Long Lake vs High Lake

Post by giantbrookie »

Even from Long Lake, it is not a super long dayhike to Langley. I was actually camped at Long when I did Langley and Cirque with my dad in 1995 (my dad's last 14er). I camped at High Lake a year later on day 1 of a long backpack trip (New Army to Shepherd Pass shuttle). I like High Lake a tad more than Long, but that's probably because the fish are slightly bigger. I hadn't heard of High having an unusually bad lightning risk but perhaps others have heard differently.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;