Cottonwood Pass / C. Lakes loop: “hammock camping” and SNOW questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Cottonwood Pass / C. Lakes loop: “hammock camping” and SNOW questions

Post by grampy »

I have a Cottonwood Pass permit reserved for 07/25 entry, going with my adult son. I tent camp; he prefers his hammock. Plan to camp Night # 1 & 2 at lower Soldier Lake; with layover dayhike to Miter Basin, if not stopped by snow/ice. Day #3 - head back over New Army Pass; Night #3 spent at either Long Lake or one of the lower Cottonwood Lakes; exit on day 4.
Questions:
1. Are there enough hammock-friendly to be found thereabouts ? On our 2018 trip (Golden Bear Lake), this wasn’t an issue. For this trip, in the photos I’ve studied (around lower Soldier and Cottonwood Lakes) trees look plentiful but LARGE - and therefore maybe spaced far apart (?). Sorry if this is a frivolous question.
2. After seeing the New Army Pass “snow cornice” issue discussed in other threads, I’m wondering if it’s better to be hitting the pass around mid-afternoon (to avoid worst ice in the morning) ? Also, any advantages to doing this loop in the opposite direction ?? ... heading in/“up” New Army and out/“down” Cottonwood Pass - if so, would need to change my permit.
Thanks for any help with this.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cottonwood Pass / C. Lakes loop: “hammock camping” and SNOW questions

Post by AlmostThere »

I don't think you'll have any issues with hammocking if you camp at those locations. Long straps and whoopie slings work better for me than some of the other options - the ability to hang between trees 12 - 20 feet apart and straps long enough to go around the larger pines are important generally in the Sierra.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Thanks, AlmostThere. Will pass on your input to my hammocking son.
Also, I reread the TR thread on “Long Lake / Miter Basin / Mt Langley”, esp. reply by Wandering Daisy:
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ss#p142491
... and decided not to worry about it. If N.A. Pass is still sketchy (for MY skill level) in July, we will just return over Cottonwood Pass.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I assume you want to come in Cottonwood Pass. The only way you will know if there is a cornice on New Army Pass is to go up to the top and look down. Conditions change daily and if you are in for four days, information you got from the permit station may not be accurate. Best case is if on the way up to the pass you meet someone coming down who can give you information. Worst case, you go up the 1300, 2.5 mile distance and have to come back down. That is not too bad, really. Also, ask people you meet when you go in Cottonwood if they went over New Army. Lots of people do the loop.