French basin ice-out bet.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: French basin ice-out bet.

Post by rlown »

That was the whole point, and I don't stand in 40 minutes to 1hr lines for beer, regardless.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

I gotta welch on my bet. I said "Mostly". But with the snowpack the way it looks to be, I'm now thinking "bring the auger".
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Yeah. I'm moving my trip to September.. After the schools open. Ice out is pretty much a dream this year to predict.
If I went in late June, I'd be dragging a pulk.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did a trip through there 2017 July 24th - 29th. You are talking a month earlier. May be optimistic.

French Lake and Steelhead Lake still were partially frozen. Second to highest Royce Lake was partially frozen. Pine Creek Pass was no problem but crossing Pine Creek was really sketchy; I nearly fell in! All the other lakes on the French Lakes bench that I could see were thawed. This year is likely to be similar to if not more snow than 2017. I fished the outlet of Steelhead, and there were a lot of nice sized fish, but they showed no interest in my fly. Spawning? I caught smaller fish at the inlet of the next lake down (I think it was L-lake).

IMG_7255.jpg
IMG_7238.jpg
7285-87_Rocye Lk_edited-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.