TR: Mineral King Lollipop 9/15 - 9/18

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
stringbop
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Mineral King Lollipop 9/15 - 9/18

Post by stringbop »

Started off by picking up my permit on a Saturday morning from Mineral King Ranger Station. Got there at 7:50AM- 10 minutes before they opened. Wasn’t anticipating the Rangers starting off the day giving a 30+ minute speech/lecture to everybody picking up their permits. Then afterwards you get in line and to go thru your paperwork and grab your permit. So an hour later finally out of there and off to the trailhead.

First objective getting over Sawtooth Pass. About 3 quarters of the way up after Monarch Lake the trail is hard to follow. Just checked my map to make sure I was going in the right direction. Sandy terrain makes the going tough so tried to use stable rocks as much as possible. Made it to the top of the pass no problem. View of Sawtooth peak was awesome! Ran into a group of other hikers doing a day hike that looked completely spent. While here I am with a 25 pound pack on ready for more! Stopped at Lake 10476 for extended break. Really enjoyed the views looking at Great Western Divide. Hard to get back up but since it was pretty much all downhill the rest of the way kicked it into gear. Made it to the campsites near the Old Big Arroyo Patrol Cabin just before it got completely dark- 7:30ish. There were a couple other campers but numerous flat spots to pick from close to water so that made it ideal. Day 1 – 19.4 ,miles, 5,786ft gain.
rsz_sawtooth.jpg
Sawtooth Peak
20180915_181056 (1).jpg
Lake just north of 10476 looking out towards the Kaweahs
Topo.jpg.png
Now for the day why I had planned this trip- to see Valhalla and Precipice Lake. Was able to take a day pack since it would be an out and back before I headed back to Big 5 Lakes. The hike up to Kaweah Gap as the sun was rising was sublime. Majestic peaks all around me for miles and miles. There were horses in the Big Arroyo which caught me by surprise. The anticipation of finally seeing Valhalla had me pumped. Made it to Precipice first then turned the corner and WOW, there it was in all its glory. I just stared in amazement. Snapped 20 more photos than I really needed to. Of course none of the pictures could do it justice. Walked all the way down to the trail that is blown into the mountain to see it in person. Then back to camp to pick up my big pack and head for Big 5 Lakes. Was making good time and wanted to stop and see Lake 10410 in the Little Five Lakes (which I read about on this website). Wellllll I downloaded the Gaia Map Layer which didn’t have Lake 10410 listed and I couldn’t remember which lake it was! DOH!!! Note to self to download numerous map layers next trip. So instead I took the Big 5 lakes trail in to Lake 10214. What an awesome set of lakes! Still had time to spare so rather than camp at Big 5 (I just can’t bring myself to set up camp with the sun still out… haha) I went up and camped on the ridge over-looking Lost Canyon. Day 2- 24 miles, 4,844 ft gain
Valhalla.jpg
Valhalla and Lake Hamilton
Precipice.jpg
Precipice Lake
Big Arroyo.jpg
What are horses doing way out here?
Big 5.jpg
Big 5 lakes

Final day. Woke up at 5:30AM to get an early start. Creek cruising along Lost Canyon and Soda Creek. Then up the switch backs towards Lake Claire. Killer Views looking out towards Sawtooth and Needham. Down to Forester Lake and over Franklin Pass. This section was hot and dry! Going up Franklin Pass was awesome. After the first 800ft of switchbacks the terrain really opens up. From this point to the top of the pass it isn’t so steep but rather gently slopes upward. Like walking on the desert but you’re up over 11,000ft. Once you get to the top, maybe 30 yards northeast of the pass, you can sit right on the ledge overlooking Lake 10569 which has insane views. Just something about being on the crest that drops straight down hundreds of feet that really gets me every time. Then it was down to Franklin Lakes for a dip. Then down to Farewell Canyon to say farewell and back to the car by 3:45PM. Day 3- 20.1 miles, 4,000ft gain
Oh and didn’t see one sceeter the entire trip!
Claire Lake.jpg
Claire lake
Franklin Pass.jpg
Franklin Pass
10569.jpg
View from Franklin Pass looking out over Lake 10569
Franklin.jpg
Franklin Lakes
Mineral King.jpg
Back to Mineral King
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Mineral King Lollipop 9/15 - 9/18

Post by RichardCullip »

Thanks for the trip report. This was a walk down memory lane for me as I hiked all over that country back in the mid-70's.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Good trip report. I really like that you included a map. I will have to remember to do that myself in the future.
ryanerb
Topix Acquainted

Post by ryanerb »

Great report, this thread isn't getting enough replies. Very VERY helpful when you include the map. Thank you.

Regarding the horses, maybe they got lose from some pack train. Or maybe the handler was nearby and you didn't realize it... BUT... what were they going to do when winter struck?!? I'm curious myself, would love to learn more from some more knowledgeable folks...
ryanerb
Topix Acquainted

Post by ryanerb »

25lb pack, I assume no tent? Any rough breakdown? (don't need a super detailed one with brands or model numbers, but just rough ideas, such as no tent, etc)
stringbop
Topix Acquainted

Post by stringbop »

I definitely appreciate it when Trip Reports include a map or link to a map with a route so I can see exactly where they hiked. Definitely a helpful tool for when I'm planning out my own hikes! I'm just paying it back. haha Albeit this one was all on trails.

Yeah 25lb pack with bear cannister! The other heavy stuff was the Big Agnes Copper Spur Tent, Thermarest Neo Air, Western Mountaineering UltraLite, ULA Ohm Backpack, Jet Boil Mini Mo, and food. I went very minimal on the clothes since it was only 3 days, I just brought a down jacket, rain jacket, socks and capilene long sleeve top and bottoms.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

Damn you put in some big days from a miles POV, but it looks like the weather totally worked for you and you got to see some amazing country. Thanks for the trip report and the map.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

Nice trip. Great photos. More miles, more smiles.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

Sweet! I've done Mineral King twice and maybe again this summer. There so many variations -- I've never thought about a day hike to Kaweah Gap and Precipice but that totally makes sense to me since I'm not a fan of the very long approach from the High Sierra Trail. Thanks for the TR!
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular

Post by Stanley Otter »

Very nice -- thanks for sharing.
Roaring in my ears,
the mountain temple's silence.
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert