loop options: High Sierra Trail and...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: loop options: High Sierra Trail and...

Post by potatopants »

Thank you, all, for the additional notes! Looking forward to pouring over my maps and trip reports and daydreaming about this one for the next 7 months.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Go in one and out the other to reduce repeat miles and see more!

I calculated this from TOPO. It is difficult to accurately draw lines for steep terrain along the trail from Crescent Meadows to the junction with the trail from Wolverton, so those numbers may be a bit off. I have been in and out both several times and it is basically a toss-up with respect to effort.

Crescent Meadow to Junction: 5.6 miles, +1845 feet, -1010
Wolverton to junction: 5.3 miles, +1810, -1400

Crescent Meadow to the junction is pain by a thousand cuts (rollercoaster); from Wolverton, one up then one big down. More streams to cross early season from Crescent Meadow.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

The campsite I used both times at Precipice Lake is to the right of the trail. Hop the outlet creek and go the the flat spot below the big rock. The view of Angel Wings and Mount Stewart is breathtaking.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:28 am I calculated this from TOPO. It is difficult to accurately draw lines for steep terrain along the trail from Crescent Meadows to the junction with the trail from Wolverton, so those numbers may be a bit off. I have been in and out both several times and it is basically a toss-up with respect to effort.

Crescent Meadow to Junction: 5.6 miles, +1845 feet, -1010
Wolverton to junction: 5.3 miles, +1810, -1400

Crescent Meadow to the junction is pain by a thousand cuts (rollercoaster); from Wolverton, one up then one big down. More streams to cross early season from Crescent Meadow.
I got something similar using preloaded traces on Caltopo.
Crescent Meadow to junction: 5.7 miles, + 2,378', -1,422'
Wolverton to junction: 5.6 miles, +1,941', -1,693'
I don't know how these traces along trails are generated in Caltopo or their accuracy, but they seem to be accurate.
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

Would also vouch for counter-clockwise. While the beginning of the High Sierra Trail to Kaweah Gap is one of the world's most stunning stretches of trail, the only issue is that Bearpaw and Hamilton aren't very good places to camp. Hamilton's beautiful, but it's a total zoo. Precipice is a nice place to camp if there's no wind. And it seems like I'm in the minority here, but I think the Kern Hot Springs are something special. I guess I've been lucky in that both times I've been no one else was there, but getting to take an endless bath after 36 hard-earned miles is a pretty amazing feeling. Just a few things to beware of, if this winds up being a high water year, crossing the Kern at Junction Meadow can be challenging. Count on getting wet. The Colby Pass Trail shows the very best the Sierra has to offer, but it's unmaintained. It's rarely difficult to follow, but it's super overgrown in parts. Also if you wanted to avoid any backtracking, from the RR station you could take the Sugarloaf Trail up over Silliman Pass to Lodgepole, and shuttle/hitch back from there.
potatopants
Topix Acquainted

Post by potatopants »

What might be a good place to camp that first night out, if Bearpaw and Hamilton are zoo-like? Though, honestly, on the first night I don't mind being in the vicinity of others. As long as they behave. :)

Thanks for the elevation and distance stats. Wolverton definitely seems like a good alternative, then, if I need it.

What is Silliman Pass like compared to Elizabeth in terms of scenery and terrain? Taking Sugarloaf instead looks like it's about 5 miles shorter and less of a climb. I hadn't considered that option because at first blush it actually looks longer than going over Elizabeth.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think Hamilton Lake is very scenic, albeit, you will be sharing with lots of others. It is over-camped and the ground looks so, but the lake and surrounding cliffs are stunning. Personally, I would aim for Hamilton if you are a strong hiker and up to a 8-9 hour walk the first day and do not take a lot of rest breaks.

Bearpaw is OK if that is as far as you can get, but it is the zoo without the scenery. But you can go up to the High Camp and buy a beer and sit on the veranda with a good view. Take some cash with you if you think you may want to do this. The actual campground is down in timber with now view.

Buck Creek has nice camping but only a few sites, which can fill up. There are also sites at Nine Mile (which is less than a mile west of Buck Creek).

Mehrten is also quite nice, you only have to backtrack about a third of a mile if coming from Wolverton. I often use Wolverton or Nine Mile/Buck because I have a 5-6 hour drive and I can make it to these campsites the same day I drive, saving the bother of car camping and fees at Lodgepole. That also makes it a nice leisurely day to Hamilton Lake or a rigorous but possible day to Precipice Lake. There is also camping at the lake below Precipice, but it is not nice- more lumpy and rocky; pretty marginal tight spots. But it is scenic.

You can actually camp at any flat spot you find, getting water being the only issue. You are not restricted to camping at established sites, unless you are not carrying a bear can. A warning- Lone Pine Creek always has water, but you cannot get water from the bridge. You would have to go upstream a ways on the trail to Tamarak before you could reasonably access water. The trail from Lone Pine bridge to the crossing of Hamilton Creek can be bone dry and very hot later in the season and particularly in the afternoon.
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

Regarding camping on the first night, there really isn't a great option. Buck Creek is okay, but you have to do some exploring to find the campsites that aren't just right on the trail. I'd recommend just going to Hamilton and nabbing one of the sites further away from the outlet creek and crowds. Regarding Silliman Pass vs. Elizabeth, Silliman will be less strenuous. It's about as mellow a pass as you'll find in SEKI actually. While I actually quite enjoy the scenery of the Sugarloaf Trail, I'm in the minority. The stretch from the RR station to the first junction is notoriously hot and dusty with few overwhelming views, but it's great after that. Ranger Lake's a great place to camp, or just stop for a swim, and the views from Silliman Pass are exceptional. And while I've actually never gone all the way over Elizabeth I've explored around on both sides of it. Deadman Canyon's got expansive views throughout, and some great meadows. The stretch on the other side around Tamarack Lake is as good as it gets. You can't go wrong either way.
potatopants
Topix Acquainted

Post by potatopants »

Hi there, circling back to this to ask about snow. With the high levels of snow fall in the Sierra this winter and March 1 just around the corner, I'm curious if you have a sense of what conditions might be around 11,000 feet in mid July.

Specifically I'm curious about route finding and water crossings, particularly since I'll be solo.

I'll be requesting a 7/13 start, but could push it a week or so later. Beyond that I'm starting to bump up against my late August trip to the Winds.

Thanks for sharing your experiences/insights!
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Nobody can say with certainty. Currently we have somewhat more snow than the 30 year average (and we're currently getting some more). But it's impossible to know what the snowfall will be between now and spring. And equally impossible to predict how warm the spring will be. By mid-July it's anyone's guess.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and check conditions as the time to go approaches. Adjust your gear and or itinerary appropriately.