Between Hitchcock Lakes & Crabtree Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Between Hitchcock Lakes & Crabtree Lakes

Post by gregodorizzi »

Is there a pass between Hitchcock Lakes and Crabtree Lakes? My reading of the map suggests it's possible, but the absence of a description on HST (that I could find, at least) warns me against this wishful thinking.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Between Hitchcock Lakes & Crabtree Lakes

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I assume you are referring to the pass, marked with ??? on the map below. If instead you are simply looking for an off-trail route between the drainages, the map below shows one I have done (red line- off trail to Lower Crabtree Lake). The red line to middle Crabtree Lake is a use-trail.

I have done it twice but it is tricky to stay on the route. Both times I messed up; first time went too low and ended up in a canyon, 2nd time going from Crabtree Lake, went too high and had to drop down as I neared Timberline Lake.

I recall that even when I messed up, it took about 1.5 hrs. It is 1.8 miles and 200-300 feet gain/loss depending on route finding.
Crabtree to Timberline.JPG
Hitchcock possible pass_small.jpg
Getting around the lake to get into the pass looks like it could be tough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gregodorizzi »

WD, the ???? pass is, indeed, the one I was curious about. The pic you provided of its NE side is enough to convince me it's not possible, at least for my risk level. Many thanks.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

I did WD's route/traverse nearly exactly as she has mapped it here! We really enjoyed that traverse. It has beautiful views of the Kaweahs. (We saw the ??? Pass from its south side, and it just looked like one very long, very unpleasant slog.)