TR: Center Basin, Junction Pass, Wrights Basin 8/18-23/2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Center Basin, Junction Pass, Wrights Basin 8/18-23/2018

Post by Stanley Otter »

Thanks for the TR and photos. I was through much of the same territory a couple weeks earlier in somewhat rainier weather. :rolleyes: I just compared some of my photos with yours and a) figure we stood in pretty much the same spots for a bunch of them and b) you have a (much) nicer camera than mine. Care to share what you use? I need a replacement since I destroyed my previous one while trying to fix it right before my trip last summer. Hope your fall semester was a good one -- I have recovered from mine with a good dose of map-based musing.
Dennis
Roaring in my ears,
the mountain temple's silence.
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by notis »

I LOVE THESE TRIP REPORTS. Your writing is so entertaining and hilar. And if HST could support the fist emoji for your mentions of LNT, then I would most certainly use it.

We did some of this route on the South Sierra High Route last September. We got behind schedule and had to forgo the Wright Lakes Basin finish for the JMT/PCT up Whitney. It looks sooo great. Also that descent of Junction Pass IS NO JOKE. Sucked.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with lots of guilt about my backlog of trip reports. I'm working on em, okay?!

Last thing--and I'm sure I've asked you this before--what camera do you use?

Thanks for posting! :)
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

Great TR! In addition to longing for Center Basin, I now long to climb onto Diamond Mesa, thanks to you.... :)
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

What a wonderful report. This is the perfect antidote to being cooped up as it rains outside (and snows up in the Sierra) .
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;