Anything Else I Can't Miss?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Anything Else I Can't Miss?

Post by Lumbergh21 »

The difference is I don't say my way is the right way. As long as you aren't interfering with others enjoyment (practicing LNT), I don't care what you're doing. I made an exception for SSSDave because I am sick and tired of being told either I hike too fast or I hike too slow. I hike at a pace that is comfortable for me and enjoy the wilderness. I don't enjoy sitting and camping. I'm not a photographer. I'm no longer a peak.bagger or interested in 20+ mile days. If you enjoy those activities, fine; just don't tell me I'm doing something wrong because I don't.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I also liked camping at Little Five Lakes (Lk 10476, in the more southern set of lakes). A bit confusing because the map shows two separate sets of lakes and calls each "Little Five Lakes". I liked the view of the Keweahs, if you are into long-off views and sunset photos. We then day-hike to Big Five Lakes. The advantage of Big Five Lakes, is that it is a bit off the main trail, so there would likely be less people. I may be biased against Big Five, because the wind was howling when we were there. The view of the nearby cliffs are pretty impressive. Bottom line, either set of lakes would make a great campsite; decide when you get there. This little side trip is well worth the effort.

Depending on when you do this trip, be aware that in dry years, finding water up on Chagoopa Plateau is difficult. Carry sufficient water. All those streams before you reach Moraine Lake were dry when I did the trip late season. The main branch of Chagoopa Creek was the only one that was running. Moraine Lake water quality was terrible.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

WD Thanks again. I'll keep that in mind when.looking for a camp site. I was on Chagoopa plateau in August 2016. Definitely a drought year. Thanks for the warning though.