Upper Merced Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Upper Merced Canyon

Post by gary c. »

Didn't I read someplace that Glacier Point permits and some others were no longer eligible for Donohue Pass permits and thus cancelling them out for the JMT crowd?
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Upper Merced Canyon

Post by robow8 »

gary c. wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:50 pm Didn't I read someplace that Glacier Point permits and some others were no longer eligible for Donohue Pass permits and thus cancelling them out for the JMT crowd?
From the YOSE website:
Which trailheads does this quota apply to? Will permits be available on a first-come, first-served basis?
In order to receive a permit with Donohue Pass as your exit point from Yosemite, you must start at Lyell Canyon, Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley, Happy Isles pass-through, Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley, or Sunrise Lakes. Other entrance trailheads will not be approved.
Lyell Canyon trailhead: Permits for 25 people, with 60% (15) available by reservation and 40% (10) available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley, Happy Isles pass-through, Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley, and Sunrise Lakes trailheads: Permits for 20 people, all of which are available by reservation only. Late cancellations may be available on a first-come, first-served basis, although we don't expect any to be available most days. Your best chance for first-come, first-served permits is at the Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness Center (for Lyell Canyon trailhead).

And it appears to me that there is only one LYV pass-through permit. On their site they call it a Sunrise/Merced Lake pass-through.