Cottonwood Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Cottonwood Loop

Post by quentinc »

A quick note to say that I just got back from a 4 day trip over Cottonwood Pass, looping around over New Army Pass and back to the Cottonwood Lakes trailhead. I took in Miter Basin, the Boreal Plateau and Mt. Langley along the way.

There was virtually no snow, not even at New Army or the top of Langley. Last June, when I did a similar trip (except New Army and Langley), there was snow everywhere! Also, not a single mosquito, except when I foolishly ventured down below 10,700 on the Rock Creek trail (that's the trail method of getting into Miter Basin, but you can avoid it by going over a small col above Soldier Lake, which I did on the way in).

Until the very last part of the hike out, I saw a total of 3 people in 4 days -- absolute heaven for a misanthrope! :) Great weather, except the last day when I hiked out in snow and then rain. Last time I hiked up Langley, a thunderstorm broke out as soon as I left the peak -- this time the lightning held off until I was several thousand feet down. The only other small nuisance was that the Vibram outersole of one of my boots somehow detached itself in the middle of the trip. I tried duct tape, but didn't have enough. So eventually I was tramping around with my boot held together with string. Too bad I didn't bring any rubber bands. :)