Backpacking SEKI in June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacking SEKI in June

Post by oldranger »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:40 am You are over-thinking your trip. Relax! :p
👍
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Not sure I picked the right "smilie". Meant to get the plain smile. Sorry :o
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dustybottoms21 »

I'm too excited to relax :moon:

Skeeters or not, we're still taking this trip!!!
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

We got our permits! The plan is to drive in from Fresno on the 19th and get a hotel nearby or car camp somewhere along the way.

We're trying to figure out how to hit the Giant Forest during our trip. According to Google Maps, it's a 70 min car ride from Rowell Meadow TH to the forest. It's only 32 miles so I assume Generals HWY has low speed limits. I guess we'll play it by ear but I'm thinking it makes most sense to check it out on the 1st day before heading to the TH.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Yes, the Generals Highway is kind of slow. It has lots of curves, and the occasional black bear ambling across the pavement. Getting from Rowell Meadow to the highway is even slower.

Depending on what hour of the day you need, there is a free shuttle bus that runs from central Giant Forest out to Crescent Meadow, and I found it to be very handy.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

dustybottoms21 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:45 pm We got our permits! The plan is to drive in from Fresno on the 19th and get a hotel nearby or car camp somewhere along the way.

We're trying to figure out how to hit the Giant Forest during our trip. According to Google Maps, it's a 70 min car ride from Rowell Meadow TH to the forest. It's only 32 miles so I assume Generals HWY has low speed limits. I guess we'll play it by ear but I'm thinking it makes most sense to check it out on the 1st day before heading to the TH.
Can probably see Grant Grove before/after grabbing your permit the day before. It's totally worth seeing some giant trees though, even if it is far from a wilderness experience. I personally didn't see a huge difference between Grant Grove & the Giant Forest, but you should certainly visit one.

And keep in mind you don't actually have a permit. You'll have to visit the ranger station, and listen to a long speech about not being an idiot.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

Thanks. Grant Grove seems to make more sense from a logistics standpoint. We’ll either see that the day before TH or the morning of since it appears to be on the way from Fresno. The giant forest looks like it would add a couple hours to our trip since it’s a bit out of the way which we would rather not do.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

So we're thinking about ditching the tent on this trip and just do some hammock camping.

We'll have bug nets and cover as well. Locating trees to hang from certainly does not look it will be a problem. Just wanted to post this in case anyone has a compelling reason why this would be a bad idea in SEKI.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

As long as you still have insulation underneath that would be adequate, tho being above treeline would take some adapting to using chocks in the cracks of large rocks. Long, long polypropolene straps and adjustable suspension highly recommended. Using a pad instead of an underquilt gives some additional versatility just in case you have only dead trees around and need to bivy on the ground.
dustybottoms21
Topix Acquainted

Post by dustybottoms21 »

We're a little less than a month away. How are conditions looking currently between Rowell Meadow TH and Skillman Pass?