"light" cross country exploring ideas

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mckee80
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

"light" cross country exploring ideas

Post by mckee80 »

Hi,

I started backpacking about a year and a half ago and am starting to get my preferences dialed in. I'll be heading out there in September and I was hoping for some advice on areas to explore.

Level 3 backpacker, Class2 terrain, mountains/lakes/photography. I'd say 5-7 nights. I hiked in Ansel Adams Wilderness last year (http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... hp?t=16869). I backpacked for 8 days in Glacier National Park this year, with some x-country. Prefer eastern entry, but western would probably be OK, too.

I'd like to get a day or two into the backcountry, stay a couple days and explore, then come back out. I'd like to incorporate some x-country, but nothing too hairy (only class 1-2). I like rushing creeks and mini waterfalls and am OK with seeing people, just not too many of them :)

So far, I'm considering these (based on reports and classification of passes on this site):

1. Agnew meadows to Ediza, stay two nights and day hike to Miranets (or a view of them). Then the western edge of Thousand Island for 3 nights (via Whitebark Pass, or the alternative route to the tarns on the eastern side of the ridge). Dayhike from there to Banner Peak (or just the saddle or just Catherine Lake), next day dayhike to Davis Lakes. Then out the high trail. (references: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ilit=ediza, http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =1&t=11465)

2. Onion Valley over Gould Pass to Dragon Lake. Then to 60 Lakes Basin via Basin Notch. Couple days there exploring. Then Kearsarge Lakes via Rae Col/Glen Pass, then out Kearsarge Pass.

3. Something involving Sunrise Lakes and Cloud's Rest (haven't finished mapping this one out)

I'd love any suggestions of other areas to research along the lines of these.

Thanks!
Sean
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: "light" cross country exploring ideas

Post by c9h13no3 »

mckee80 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 pm3. Something involving Sunrise Lakes and Cloud's Rest (haven't finished mapping this one out)
Idea #1 & #2 strike me as superior to anything in this region of Yosemite. I was there in mid-September this past year, and it was a pretty crowded spot. Especially from Sunrise Lakes to Cloud's Rest, I probably saw ~100-150 people. And getting a permit isn't trivial. It's a fine hike, but not somewhere I'd want to relax & camp for 4 days. And it strikes me as a different kind of trip from the other two spots you described. The terrain around Sunrise/Cloud's Rest is rolling granite, easy cross country travel (not really mountain passes, or class 2 travel). And I'd feel a little guilty venturing off trail in a heavily used area.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Does peak bagging enter into this? For example, maybe something that _slightly_ exceeds easy Class 2? Maybe a Class 2-3?
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I'd suggest a couple of options:

From Sunrise, you can easily take trails to Upper Cathedral Lake, and then xc to Echo Lake, Matthes Lake, and beyond, It's pretty simple navigation, and spectacular country.

From the East side, look at Piute Pass to Humphreys Basin; extensive area that is really easy to xc...and has lots to discover.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

When I see "light" cross country I think immediately of:
Dusy Basin
Humphreys Basin and the Puppet Lake area immediately north.
Emigrant in the vicinity of Pingree and Big Lakes
Northern Yosemite in the vicinity of Boundary Lake

All four of these places allow for extensive wandering off trail at class 1. Miles and miles in fact. And they all tend to be deserted or lightly used once you get off trail. They all are 1-2 days in. So they all seem to fit your description. And there are oodles of trip reports on all of them, so you can visually check them out.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted

Post by mckee80 »

c9h13no3 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:32 pm
mckee80 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 pm3. Something involving Sunrise Lakes and Cloud's Rest (haven't finished mapping this one out)
Idea #1 & #2 strike me as superior to anything in this region of Yosemite.
Thanks! I really want to get to Cloud's Rest, but maybe your point about a dayhike is the way to go.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted

Post by mckee80 »

bobby49 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:55 pm Does peak bagging enter into this? For example, maybe something that _slightly_ exceeds easy Class 2? Maybe a Class 2-3?
That's possible. I'm trying to gradually build up to more off trail stuff.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted

Post by mckee80 »

balzaccom wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:33 pm I'd suggest a couple of options:

From Sunrise, you can easily take trails to Upper Cathedral Lake, and then xc to Echo Lake, Matthes Lake, and beyond, It's pretty simple navigation, and spectacular country.

From the East side, look at Piute Pass to Humphreys Basin; extensive area that is really easy to xc...and has lots to discover.
Thank you. I'll check those out. I was looking at the North Lake South Lake loop, but I don't want to be on the move with a pack the whole time. Humphreys Basin looks interesting. And I love Yosemite.
mckee80
Topix Acquainted

Post by mckee80 »

kpeter wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:06 pm When I see "light" cross country I think immediately of:
Dusy Basin
Humphreys Basin and the Puppet Lake area immediately north.
Emigrant in the vicinity of Pingree and Big Lakes
Northern Yosemite in the vicinity of Boundary Lake
Awesome! Thank you.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sekihiker »

I suggest the Red Mountain Basin. For trip report, see:
http://www.sierrahiker.com/RedMountainBasin/index.html