TR: North Lake/South Lake Short Loop 10/20

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rsnipes
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: North Lake/South Lake Short Loop 10/20

Post by rsnipes »

On what is becoming a tradition to visit King's Canyon in October, this year we decided to do an abbreviated North Lake/South Lake Loop over Lamarck Col. Weather was perfect, and the trails were predictably empty. We saw three people all day.

We hit the trail at 5am and had a pleasant hike up past the lakes in darkness. As we climbed toward the Col the sun began to bathe the surrounding peaks.

IMG_3609.jpg
IMG_3653.jpg

When we finally arrived, the snowfield was starting to see sun, but still plenty hard for easy travel. There was a well-defined path through the snow that was easy to follow.

IMG_3670.jpg
IMG_3676.jpg

Views on the other side were predictably spectacular at the early hour.

IMG_3686.jpg

This was my first time in Darwin Canyon, and it certainly lived up to my expectations.

IMG_3803.jpg
IMG_3833.jpg

After stopping to shed layers and have an early lunch, we entered Evolution Valley and began the ascent to Muir Pass. We had the place to ourselves, and savored every moment of the climb.

IMG_3855.jpg
IMG_3895.jpg

With two climbs under our belts, we began the long descent to Le Conte as the afternoon shadows grew longer. I had hoped to visit Dusy Basin in the daylight, but we weren't quite going to make that. But perhaps even better, we got to experience it under bright moonlight, a real treat.

IMG_3929.jpg
IMG_3934.jpg
IMG_3978.jpg

38 miles in all, taking our time to take it all in, we started at 5am and finished just after Midnight. GPX track and stats here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1919006350
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: TR: North Lake/South Lake Short Loop 10/20

Post by Wandering Daisy »

38 miles is hardly a "short loop"!! And in one day- that is an accomplishment. I estimate you must have been walking in 8-10 hours of darkness. So what kind of headlamps did you use that made this possible, and safe? I see the snow in your photos and ice on puddles, but was there any ice on the trails? I keep thinking of the poor deer who slid off Bishop Pass last Fall. It looked like you had really clear skies. I did a trip in Desolation same time and skies there were also very deep blue. I have always wondered why the late season skies are so blue (that is, if there are no smoky fires nearby). The moon was quite bright when I was out, so did that really help with night walking? The Harvest Moon is in a day or so, what a great time that will be for a trip like yours.
rsnipes
Topix Novice

Post by rsnipes »

I call this one the “Short Loop” only because it’s shorter than the traditional loop over Piute Pass. It’s certainly not short :)

Was dark from 5am to roughly 6:30am or so, and then again from perhaps 7pm until we finished around 12:30am, so roughly 7 hours. The moon was so bright though! I didn’t even use a headlamp on the climb to Bishop Pass, only on the descent to South Lake. I use a Petzl NAO + which is typically good for 8-10 hours on a charge in reactive mode.

Not really any ice on the trails, conditions were perfect, and the skies were clear.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I have always wondered why the late season skies are so blue (that is, if there are no smoky fires nearby)

Because of the lower angle of the sun, which allows more blue light, and less red and green light, to reach your eyes.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Fall sky clarity minus smog, dust, and water vapor. One can get brilliant blue skies during summer too under similar conditions with best blue saturation in opposite direction when the sun altitude is about 45 degrees that at this time of year at our latitude is roughly noon while in mid summer is maybe 10am. Some of our clearest air during summer are in Utah during the summer as the humidity is low and dust and particulate sources are distant. Sierra Nevada summer air clarity has become much worse over the last few decades due to the enormous population and infrastructure expansion to the west in both urban and agricultural regions.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

That is one long day! Beautiful pictures though. Would like to see some by moonlight if have any.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Impressive day! Thanks for sharing your story and pictures
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

Thanks for all the photos. Do go back to see Dusy Basin in the spring (much better than the fall, imho).

38 miles seems a bit long, my GPS puts it at just over 35 miles.