Table Meadows and Tablelands TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Table Meadows and Tablelands TR

Post by Harlen »

Lizzie and me and three friends hiked into the Tablelands of Sequoia-Kings National Park on Friday the 28th. We used The Watchtower route out of Wolverton, and carried on the first day to the Pear Lake Basin. I have skied in before, alone and with the whole family, but always to Table Meadows or above, so we had never been right to Pear Lake itself. It is a really nice basin with a lot of potential for scrambling on the cliffs above, including routes up Alta peak. From there we moved camp to one of the many lakes in Table Meadows on our way over to Moose Lake. Lizzie and I dropped our backpacks en route, and hiked up to crest of the Tablelands for the amazing views, and to stash a bear can for my subsequent trip to Deadman and Cloud Canyons, and around.

Moose Lake itself is everything we had imagined it would be- a beautiful lake with more fine views south and east, and it was also empty. Lizzie and the friends left from there in a nice circular route down through Alta and Mehrten Meadows, and Panther Gap, while I carried on for another week to track the wild Gunderson over Glacier Ridge (more on that semi epic later).

The photos will tell the story best:
100_0023.jpg
Whenever we are close to the giant sequoias we must pay a visit. These trees amaze us every time! there are great groves just 15 minutes south of the Wolverton Trailhead.

100_0027.jpg
The way in is through thick red fir forest, and the fall colors seen here are mainly bracken fern.

100_0032.jpg
We had never seen The Watchtower up close- there must be some fine climbs in there. We preferred this route to the “Over The Hump” trail.

100_0038.jpg

100_0043.jpg
Pear Lake.

100_0047.jpg
Sunset at Pear Lake with friends.

100_0070.jpg
The views from the ridge above Moose Lake are great, and from upper Tablelands we could see as far as Ritter and Banner!

100_0075.jpg
100_0091.jpg
A nice stretch of the Great Western Divide behind Lizzie- from Centennial to Farquhar. That fine looking granite peak farthest right is an unnamed mountain near the head of Glacier Ridge.

100_0113.jpg
Coming back down to Moose Lake for the first time in the late afternoon light. We were really happily impressed by the setting, and it was great to get into some new country.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular

Re: Table Meadows and Tablelands TR

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

Wonderful TR! I have only been to Moose Lake and Tablelands when everything was covered in snow.... I want to go back right now! :)
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Really nice photos. Thanks for posting this.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Nice photos and trip report.
Thanks for sharing.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

So interesting to see all the patches of autumn red - bilberry? - in your photos. I've only been on the Tablelands in mid-summer. It is a beautiful place, with such an airy, open, top-of-the-world feeling. However, not a place I'd want to be in a thunderstorm!
-Phil