Graveyard Peak - Help Finding Route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mbehlen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Graveyard Peak - Help Finding Route

Post by mbehlen »

Hi Gang! With your help I have completed 5 backpacking trips the last 18 months and I so owe you! I also owe you a Mineral King Trip Report, I promise it is coming soon!

I am headed to the devil's bathtub/graveyard lakes area this weekend for a quick 24 hour trip. The goal is to hike to either of these lakes Saturday and relax. The goal for sunday is to summit graveyard peak and then hike back down to the trail head. The problem is I can't find any somewhat detailed routes for this. From what I have read I have two options:

1) Head to Devil's Bathtub and climb from south side up the hill (mountain).

2) Head to Graveyard Lakes and hike east up the drainage to the saddle and then up to the summit.

Would somebody be able to help me out with a little more detail on this? I am still new to this and would really appreciate it!

PS: I hiked the traditional Mineral King Loop in 2 1/2 days three weeks ago! I am stoked on backpacking!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Graveyard Peak - Help Finding Route

Post by bobby49 »

Yes, there is a standard trail that takes you up to Graveyard Lakes, and then it is easy to find your way up to the summit. As I recall (from thirty years ago), the summit ridge gets pretty narrow, but there is no hurry.