TR: Sabrina Basin - Rancho Relaxo

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Sabrina Basin - Rancho Relaxo

Post by davidsheridan »

TR: Sabrina Basin & Bishop Area Day Hikes

While this TR certainly does not compare to the epic Sierra adventures I usually come across on HST where members rack up mileage, scale numerous passes and catch 25” golden trout… I submit to a TR about a more relaxed and very enjoyable trip to the Eastern Sierra

My wife and I started with a couple days in Bishop and some acclamation hikes in the area. Afterwards, we would take a 5 day backpacking trip into the Sabrina basin.

Our first acclimatization hike was in the White Mountains, the Methusala Trail at the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. We really enjoyed this great trail. (You must pick-up the self-led trail guide that describes 24 points of interest and the science and history of this remarkable place)
P9010028 - Copy.JPG
Afterwards we enjoyed a nice swim at Keough’s Hot Springs just south of Bishop.

The next day, we went to Little Lakes Valley and hiked to both Chickenfoot Lake and Gem Lake. I have never been to this Trailhead before, and had heard so much about it as it relates to being a great beginner backpacking location. It was a perfect place for an acclimatization hike.

Both nights we ended up at the Mountain Rambler Brewery for some good food and beer.

Day 1: Lake Sabrina to Sailor Lake. The Lake Sabrina trail was awesome. My wife and I both thought that this was one of the most well-constructed trails we had been on, a pure joy! From Lake Sabrina, which was very beautiful, past Blue Lake and Dingleberry Lake, on to Sailor… - awesome trail!
P9030043.JPG
P9030048.JPG
P9040054 - Copy.JPG
We spent 3 nights camped at Sailor Lake. Unfortunately, the weather was not good. Every afternoon and evening we varied levels of unstable weather and storms.

Day 2: Echo Lake Hike
P9040066 - Copy.JPG
P9040079 - Copy.JPG
Day 3: Favorite Day = fishing and hiking + fishing at sunrise! – Left Sailor Lake before sunrise, to fish Moonlihgt Lake at sun rise
P9050094 - Copy.JPG
P9050101 - Copy.JPG
P9050102 - Copy.JPG
Back to Camp to cook breakfast on a very relaxing morning, then we headed cross country to the ridge between Midnight Lake and Sailor Lake. Once we gained the ridge , we headed to Hungry Packer Lake. – Super fun terrain for us and our comfort level, cross-country, great granite, moderate route finding.
P9050116 - Copy.JPG
P9050118 - Copy.JPG
P9050120 - Copy.JPG
We descended to Hungry Packer, had a delicious lunch, then trail-hiked it to Midnight Lake.

Day 4: We descended to Blue Lake via trail, Pitched our tent, then hiked to Baboon Lakes via the normal trail. The trail was not easy and we were tired when we reached Lower Baboon Lake. About the same time, a nice storm moved in fast
with some dark clouds and lightning. We made it as far as the far-end of lower lake, then decided a prompt retreat was necessary. We decided to follow a climber’s trail down from the gap between lower Baboon Lake and Middle Baboon Lake. We descended quickly and ultimately joined the mane trail between Donkey Lake and Blue Lake.

Day 5: 1 coffee and a clif Bar…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Sabrina Basin - Rancho Relaxo

Post by davidsheridan »

It was a Zen Trip'
P9050131 - Copy.JPG
We also finaally checked out the Mono Lake Tufas on the way home too
P9070151 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Great report and pictures. It brings back some good memories of my trips there.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I never get tired of Sabrina Basin. It remains one of my favorite places on the planet. Thanks for taking me back there :)
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

Thanks for the TR. Did you fish Echo or Hungry Packer and did you catch anything. Thank you.

Texan
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

Texan: I fished hungry packer very briefly in the middle of the day and caught a small trout (9 inches or so) on a panther martin. I did not fish echo lakes because stormy weather caused us to start heading back to our campsite. I talked to a guy who fished every lake back there and he said the most bites were coming from Moonlight, although all small fish. Small fish were to be had in almost all lakes, I am a novice, so I was happy getting bites. Pre-trip I cam across this video about fishing Hungry Packer and it shows some nice sized fish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp0Cb07-U64
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks for the great trip report and the photos. Sounds like my kind of trip; i'm so done with dawn to dusk death marches.
Reminded me why i lake Sabrina basin so much.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pictures. :thumbsup:
Planning on going up to do some Fall photography in the Bishop Creek area among others, the Rabbitbush at Mono looks great in your photo, plan on spending a day or two there too, especially with these incoming systems bringing snow, rain, and thunderstorms to the area! :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org