trip advice--JMT NOBO from Cottonwood lakes and Langley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

trip advice--JMT NOBO from Cottonwood lakes and Langley

Post by MountainMinstrel »

OK I've been around here for a long time but before I ask I'll give my details.

I'm a solid level 3 backpacker maybe even a little more.

OK with class 2 and some class 3 as long as it there is no or little exposure (I'll be solo).

Water crossings-It's a bit funny that I learned how to swim in the Kern River just above Lake Isabela and I have been known to body surf in a 12 foot swell yet water crossings freak me out. I know I will never die from drowning but hypothermia or getting knocked out by a rock is a whole other thing.

My main interest are Lakes, Big Mountain scenery, Photography (although I'm just a rank amateur). Not sure if I'm going to bring fishing gear or a guitar and I am not a climber per se.

My question has to do with the section between the Cottonwood Lakes trailhead and
Roads End where I'm am resupplying thanks to my wonderful wife. Thinking seven days for this section.

I will be heading out in the first couple of weeks of August depending on when my sister and brother-in-law get permits SOBO (we are swapping keys)

I will be most likely camp the first night at Long Lake and then hit Langley on day 2. After this is where I am unsure. I do not have my Whitney map but the Gaia map shows a trail that goes past Sky Blue Lake, Crabtree Pass, Crabtree Lakes and then hooks back up to the PCT (see the yellow track on the map...)
miter basin.JPG
I will not be hitting Whitney (been there three times) and I have 7-9 days to get to Roads End. I'll most likely camp at Sky Blue Lake. So does this seem like a reasonable option?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: trip advice--JMT NOBO from Cottonwood lakes and Langley

Post by bobby49 »

It seems like some people go over Crabtree Pass (yellow line). I did like the Mitre Basin, but not Crabtree Pass.

I went from Crabtree Camp south on the PCT, then southeast to exit out at Cottonwood Pass to Horseshoe Meadows (in a day).
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I came in the other direction last summer and had planned to do Crabtree Pass before my knee gave out, so I detoured around the PCT and came over New Army and past Long Lake. It was not an unpleasant route and it had some nice moments.

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... it=soldier

I did a lot of research on Crabtree Pass and am disappointed I did not make it over. Some of that research is reflected in this preparatory thread, particularly helpful hints from Wandering Daisy:

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 06#p134206

There is an excellent step by step guide posted on the HST cross country pass map.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sie ... &cat=&mt=3
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

Taking 7-9 days to get to Road's End is a nice leisurely pace in my book. You would have time to explore Wright Lakes, or better yet, go to the Upper Kern and explore for a few days. Are you planning to go over Forester Pass? From the pass to Road's End is probably 2 days, or at least part of 2 days, so work backwards from there. If it were me, I'd go to the Upper Kern and wander around the many lakes and basins.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

thanks kpeter. that is very helpful info
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.