Garnet Pass To TI Question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Garnet Pass To TI Question

Post by Midnight Sun »

Hi All, I’m taking some newer backpackers on the Agnew- Ediza - TI Lake - Agnew route this weekend. After reading many threads here, I think we will go west along the north shore of Garnet and over the pass to TI lake, rather than the main trail that goes to the TI outlet. We’ll camp somewhere below the pass.

My question is, if we want to exit TI Lake via the traditional route, should we head out along the south side of the lake, or wrap around the north? Perhaps this will be obvious when we get there, but figured I’d ask.

Also, any tips on finding a nice camp spot at Ediza are welcome. Thanks all.

CS
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Re: Garnet Pass To TI Question

Post by wildhiker »

There is a well-defined use trail along the entire north side of Thousand Island Lake. Use that to exit.
-Phil
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

What he said... and so jealous.
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted

Post by Midnight Sun »

Many thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Camp at the western end, near the smaller lake, and use the northern side of TI. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Camping at the western end of Thousand Island has many advantages to camping in the "motel" of campsites clustered on the northeastern shore. However, some of most picturesque camera angles are from the northern and northeastern shores across the lake with Banner and Ritter in the background. Give yourself time to stroll at a leisurely pace, preferably in early morning, along that northern shore, and if walking east, pause often to look west.

There are also some places to camp near the small lake to the west of Garnet and south of the Garnet/TI pass if you should want to stop prior to going over the divide.

When heading from Ediza to Nydiver, I found an intermittent use trail going up the inlet stream that drains down from the tarn E of Ritter and SE of Banner. Then it is extremely easy walking east to get to Nydiver.
rsm333
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by rsm333 »

camp on the Western end, less people. go out one the North, easier
Midnight Sun
Topix Acquainted

Post by Midnight Sun »

Thanks for all the info everyone. This was all very helpful. We made it over the pass in between Garnet and Thousand Island Lake after some route searching. The entire portion along Garnet and up and over the pass are spectacular. Camping on the SW end of TI was amazing. We didn't see anyone else at TI. Beautiful place.