Being Comfortable in 20 degree weather

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Being Comfortable in 20 degree weather

Post by Solace-seeker »

I am planning a backpacking trip in the sierras for just 1 night. I anticipate the weather at night to be in the low 20s possibly. I am never too comfortable in cold weather. Last September I camped at Ediza Lake in the high 20s. Any suggestions are appreciated, especially concerning socks, gloves, beanies, base layers for legs or any other suggestions for cold weather camping.

Thank You
Solace Seeker
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Being Comfortable in 20 degree weather

Post by AlmostThere »

My tried and true method for being warm at night:
1. Hydrate until bedtime. Eat plenty for dinner and have a snack before bed if you're turning in 2-3 hours after.
2. Have adequately rated sleeping gear - pair up a foam pad with your three season pad if you have to.
3. Do not under any circumstance decide you will be cold. Adopt a wait-and-see attitude. Your brain controls your body after all and it does in fact respond to your beliefs - ask anyone who has done biofeedback about this. Which is not to say you can be cold when it's hot, or hot when it's cold, but if your circulatory system is responding to your belief you WILL be cold, because the blood will be redistributed in your body accordingly.
4. When you feel cold, put on a layer. If you wait for a bit and still feel cold, put on another, or a windbreaker layer. Whatever you do give your body time to warm up the layer before deciding to put on another. Getting in at night, I never wear anything but a base layer, and do some slow movements to bring blood into the capillaries in the skin so the down warms faster. That or a hot water bottle (think nalgene not disposable) warm up the insulation faster.
My clothing this time of year is: long sleeve shirt/pants for hiking, midweight base layer, windbreaker, rain layer, fleece hat, gloves, down jacket, down socks for sleeping. The windbreaker is for hiking in, the down jacket for camp and night time pee breaks.
5. Get up and pee. Seriously, when everything is working, you are only temporarily chilled and then back in bed so fast you don't get cold. I get up at 3 am most nights because that's just what my body does. If you have to go, get up. Sitting there holding it just makes you miserable. If you are adequately hydrated, you won't get cold.
6. If your clothes are the slightest bit damp, put on dry clothes. You can be wearing clothing that feels dry, have it be a bit damp with sweat, and it will contribute to the cold.

I use a 0 degree backpacking quilt from September to March, sometimes into April depending on destination and expected low temps.
I was for a long, long time that person who was always cold. I haven't slept cold in years.
I do distinguish between the brief chill on the cheek or the hand and real cold, of the sort that trends toward mild hypothermia. You won't completely avoid cold, but you can easily sleep comfortably and avoid "bad" cold.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Clothing choices depend to some extent on your camping habits. If you're planning to sit out at night in the open while running the stove or socializing then you'll need plenty of warm layers, including a decent puffy jacket. On the other hand, if you're going to dive into the tent and at least partway into your sleeping bag while preparing food in the vestibule you may be able to get away with just slightly more than typical summer clothing.

I'm in the latter category of camping. As a result my Sierra summer and winter clothing choices are nearly identical. Other than gloves for the snow I usually just add a 12oz down jacket to what I was wearing 6 months earlier. My sleeping bag in the winter is warmer and my winter tent is better suited for keeping out drafts than a typical 3-season tent.

Everybody is a little different though. You will have to experiment to figure out what you need. If you're unsure then overpack. Take fleece pants and a huge hooded down parka. Your pack will be heavy but you'll be warm.
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Solace-seeker »

AlmostThere wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm My tried and true method for being warm at night:
1. Hydrate until bedtime. Eat plenty for dinner and have a snack before bed if you're turning in 2-3 hours after.
2. Have adequately rated sleeping gear - pair up a foam pad with your three season pad if you have to.
3. Do not under any circumstance decide you will be cold. Adopt a wait-and-see attitude. Your brain controls your body after all and it does in fact respond to your beliefs - ask anyone who has done biofeedback about this. Which is not to say you can be cold when it's hot, or hot when it's cold, but if your circulatory system is responding to your belief you WILL be cold, because the blood will be redistributed in your body accordingly.
4. When you feel cold, put on a layer. If you wait for a bit and still feel cold, put on another, or a windbreaker layer. Whatever you do give your body time to warm up the layer before deciding to put on another. Getting in at night, I never wear anything but a base layer, and do some slow movements to bring blood into the capillaries in the skin so the down warms faster. That or a hot water bottle (think nalgene not disposable) warm up the insulation faster.
My clothing this time of year is: long sleeve shirt/pants for hiking, midweight base layer, windbreaker, rain layer, fleece hat, gloves, down jacket, down socks for sleeping. The windbreaker is for hiking in, the down jacket for camp and night time pee breaks.
5. Get up and pee. Seriously, when everything is working, you are only temporarily chilled and then back in bed so fast you don't get cold. I get up at 3 am most nights because that's just what my body does. If you have to go, get up. Sitting there holding it just makes you miserable. If you are adequately hydrated, you won't get cold.
6. If your clothes are the slightest bit damp, put on dry clothes. You can be wearing clothing that feels dry, have it be a bit damp with sweat, and it will contribute to the cold.

I use a 0 degree backpacking quilt from September to March, sometimes into April depending on destination and expected low temps.
I was for a long, long time that person who was always cold. I haven't slept cold in years.
I do distinguish between the brief chill on the cheek or the hand and real cold, of the sort that trends toward mild hypothermia. You won't completely avoid cold, but you can easily sleep comfortably and avoid "bad" cold.
Thank you "Almost There" for your excellent suggestions"
Solace-seeker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Solace-seeker »

longri wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:23 pm Clothing choices depend to some extent on your camping habits. If you're planning to sit out at night in the open while running the stove or socializing then you'll need plenty of warm layers, including a decent puffy jacket. On the other hand, if you're going to dive into the tent and at least partway into your sleeping bag while preparing food in the vestibule you may be able to get away with just slightly more than typical summer clothing.

I'm in the latter category of camping. As a result my Sierra summer and winter clothing choices are nearly identical. Other than gloves for the snow I usually just add a 12oz down jacket to what I was wearing 6 months earlier. My sleeping bag in the winter is warmer and my winter tent is better suited for keeping out drafts than a typical 3-season tent.

Everybody is a little different though. You will have to experiment to figure out what you need. If you're unsure then overpack. Take fleece pants and a huge hooded down parka. Your pack will be heavy but you'll be warm.
Thank you "Longri" for your excellent suggestions.
phoenix2000
Topix Acquainted

Post by phoenix2000 »

You might consider trying a sleeping bag liner. REI sells a few different models of the Sea to Summit liners that range from adding another 15 to 25 degrees to your sleeping bag. They have some additional benefits. 1.) They are more comfortable than the fabric of a sleeping bag. 2.) In warmer months you can use it instead of a sleeping bag or if the night starts off warm then gets cold you can start out in the liner with your sleeping bag open then once it gets cold pull your sleeping bag over you.
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

This might not be applicable to you, but I have poor circulation in my hands and no combination of gloves will get them warm once they've chilled. I'm a big fan of chemical hand warmers.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

tie wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:42 pm This might not be applicable to you, but I have poor circulation in my hands and no combination of gloves will get them warm once they've chilled. I'm a big fan of chemical hand warmers.
Reynauds is a curse that I have to deal with. The OR Versaliner (https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Research ... rch+gloves) has a pocket on the back of them for hand warmers -- I use them to store the rain shell for the gloves when not using them for warmers.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Here is the obvious answer: heat up a hot water bottle.

Make sure that one of your water bottles can safely be taken into your sleeping bag. A cheap, plain nalgeen bottle works best.

https://www.rei.com/product/106339/rei- ... e-32-fl-oz

Fill the bottle with hot water, make sure it is sealed water tight and the exterior is dried, and take it to bed. When insulated by down, a hot water bottle will stay hot for hours. Best to put it at the feet since the heat radiates up through the bag. I have given hot water bottles to friends who were suffering from the cold after forgetting to bring enough warm clothes or a warm enough bag, and it made all the difference.

You can also take the chemical, reusable warmers. I know skiers who put these inside their mittens, hats, and boots. Personally, for nighttime, I'd prefer the water bottle.

https://www.rei.com/product/608751/ez-h ... and-warmer
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.