Bear Basin Trip Report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bear Basin Trip Report

Post by Harlen »

After gathering good advice (thanks Mike) from the HST Backcountry Passes site, "Bearzy" and I went back into one of our perennial favorite spots-Bear Basin, this time in via "Gemini," and out via "BeaRoyce" passes. We began the trip 9/2 from Pine Creek TH, and we made a nice circle, coming down from Granite Park four days later. Short storms with thunder and lightning made for some exciting moments, and fantastic lighting! Both passes, and most of West Pinnacles Creek were new to us, and it was nice to explore some new ground.

gemini trip 181.jpg
Sunset light on the Ritter Range- Mav, is the smoke from the fires making these amazing sunsets?

Day 1: Pine Creek TH over Pine Creek Pass- camp in upper French Canyon.

Autumn hiking means berries and fall colors. I was a little early for the best aspen and willow colors, but I caught some perfect elderberries and currants.

gemini trip 179.jpg

gemini trip 024.jpg

A few flowers were still in bloom- the "sneezeweed," gentian, paintbrush, and a few lupine.

gemini trip 042.jpg

gemini trip 051.jpg

gemini trip 034.jpg

gemini trip 010.jpg

gemini trip 019.jpg
I love the colors of the fading shooting stars.

The view below is east, to the bottom of the Pine Creek Valley. It has nice fir and pine forest, with water birch and dogwood in the streams. Here are some berry-laden Sierra junipers.
gemini trip 173.jpg

Both upper and lower Pine Lakes are beautiful. The side pool, and shallows of lower Pine Lake are currently emerald green due to submergent algae.
gemini trip 004.jpg

gemini trip 162.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Bear Basin Trip Report

Post by Harlen »

Day 2: Down French Canyon, up into West Pinnacles Basin.
We began the day by exploring the lakes above French Canyon. There is a trail up, and then easy cross country traveling down to the west where we were heading. At 9,200' we traversed up the eastern slope of "Pinnacles Ridge," which separates the East and West Forks of Pinnacle Creek. The contours make it look a lot easier to angle up from where the East Fork meets the valley floor- has anyone struggled up into the West Pinnacle Basin directly along the creek? Looks awful steep. We rounded the ridge 150' above Pemmican Lake, and dropped down to it, and on to Big Chief Lake. It is tricky going for a man and a dog, as Bear's down-climbing abilities cease when the ledges are more than about 6 feet high.
We got cliffed out more than once, but enjoyed the route-finding. West Pinnacles Creek feels very remote; there's not a single sign of a human- no cairns, no camps, not even a rusty can. We got to the big lake just in time to be soaked in sleet and hail while setting up the tent.

gemini trip 013.jpg
Above is Moon Lake, looking west, with the western ridge of the Merriam LaSalle Lakes Basin beyond- another great route into Bear Basin.

gemini trip 006.jpg
Bear was fine and happy, but another dog was not. We heard from a hiker that a husky was lost in the area. We looked and called as we went to no avail, but at the trailhead when we went out, there was a note saying the dog was found, so a nice dog SAR succeeded. Are there formal dog SARs?

gemini trip 028.jpg
That's Pilot Knob, splitting French Canyon and Piute Creek Canyon, with Mt. Humphreys in the background. We've come down from French Canyon, and are about halfway up the traverse to West Pin.Basin.

gemini trip 055.jpg
Now we are in West Pin Basin, and Bear seems to know that he is about to be hailed upon- which he hates.

gemini trip 056.jpg
What a brief but dramatic storm we had! That's "Pavilion Dome" in the background, the very tail end of Glacier Divide.

gemini trip 063.jpg
Those are unnamed peaks with a huge white dike running the length of the nearest one.

gemini trip 068.jpg
Looking up the basin from Wampum Lake, with Gemini Mountain in the distance. There's a dividing ridge between the East Pin. Basin, and the basin that holds Three Island and Medley Lakes. I managed to cross it about 400 feet higher than necessary, reading somewhere that I needed to traverse the shoulder of Gemini. Worked out fine, since I wanted to climb Gemini anyway, and "what doesn't kill you is training" as a hiking buddy always says.

gemini trip 070.jpg
Looking over at Seven Gables Peak, from our perch far, far above Gemini Pass- WHY? Gemini Pass is just a few hundred yards to the east, and ~100' above that upper lake. *Anyone? Is that Mt Hilgard in the distance to the right?

gemini trip 076.jpg
This is an overly dramatic view of the Mount Gemini summit complex. It is really just a class 2 scramble till the very end.

gemini trip 083.jpg
This is the view southwest from near the summit; that's Three Island Lake below, and Mt Senger above it. Where the sunlight turns to shadow is right on Selden Pass of the JMT masses, and the pyramidal peak to right of that is Mt. Hooper. Unlike Bear, I love this kind of weather- as long as the thunderstorms are brief. Doesn't a sky full of clouds add another whole dimension to the mountain scenery? I'll take it over clear blue sky any day.

gemini trip 085.jpg
Feather Peak and Mt. Royce- Royce is balancing the round cloud on its head. My pass out of Bear Basin is the very farthest notch in the northern ridgeline of Feather- "BeaRoyce Pass."

gemini trip 082.jpg
Another wonderful storm coming, so I raced it down into the Seven Gables Lakes Basin, and just beat the hail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Bear Basin Trip Report

Post by Harlen »

Days 3-4: Up Mt Gemini, over Gemini Pass, Bear Basin, and over BeaRoyce into Granite Park

We got down to the first of the Seven Gables Lakes and under a tent just before the second hail storm, which came in with amazingly long peels of thunder- I counted 20 second long thunder rolls! It lasted longer this time, from about 1:30 till 4 pm. I couldn't bear to be camped so early, so when it paused, we rallied, and repacked every wet thing, and shot off up to Vee Lake. This is one of our favorite camps, and we really enjoyed the soft meadows. BeaRoyce Pass proved to be a very elegant route- no trouble at all up the west side, and an absolute flight down the east! I was nervous about it for no good reason, as with most passes, they look harder straight on from a distance, and get easier up close.
The Royce Lakes Basin, and Granite Park both struck us as fantastic places, and I wondered why we haven't been back there for so long. It is a water-loving dog's paradise, and Bear raced through the shallow lakes and wet meadows like a puppy! It was a great place to end the trip.

gemini trip 078.jpg
Looking straight down the steep eastern face of Gemini.

gemini trip 086.jpg
In this photo I am looking down the east side of Gemini Pass, and the route down is just as Mike stated, not too bad if you can find the system of little terraces, first on the right of the notch, and then I crossed over to the left about halfway down. It's a good pass to take your time- couldn't be any more different from the east side of BeaRoyce, half of which is a sand slide.

gemini trip 107.jpg
The sun rising behind Feather Peak

gemini trip 098.jpg
Sunrise on Seven Gables from Vee Lake

gemini trip 091.jpg

gemini trip 118.jpg

gemini trip 130.jpg
View down on Bearpaw Lake from the saddle east of Vee Lake. Dancing Bear Pass is in the upper left, at the foot of the smooth light colored slope.

gemini trip 138.jpg
Halfway up BeaRoyce, on the western slopes of Feather Peak.

gemini trip 136.jpg
View west across Bear Basin, with Gemini on the left and Seven Gables on the right. The small patch of snow on the ridge between them is Gemini Pass. In the photo below, Bearzy is sitting on that same snow.
gemini trip 084.jpg
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Bear Basin Trip Report

Post by Harlen »

Day 4: Over BeaRoyce Pass and into Granite Park and out Pine Creek.

gemini trip 143.jpg
Looking down the pass east into Royce Lakes Basin. To the left is a deeper, cleaner sand slope that can be raced down, leaping and heel-plunging to get to that lake in a very little over ten minutes.

gemini trip 146.jpg
Royce Lakes.

gemini trip 153.jpg
Unnamed lake above Granite Park.

gemini trip 159.jpg
Granite Park marshland.

gemini trip 047.jpg
One of the marshland locals

gemini trip 048.jpg
Grass of Parnassus, Parnassia palustris

gemini trip 178.jpg
Crimson Monkeyflower

gemini trip 023.jpg
Back down in the forest, local strawberry plants and lodgepole cones.

gemini trip 036.jpg
Very old bear shite with bone shards.

gemini trip 044.jpg
"Bigelow's sneezeweed," Helenium bigelovii.

gemini trip 170.jpg
Beautiful Pine Lakes again.

Minerets, Ritter and Banner.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Bear Basin Trip Report

Post by SSSdave »

Tell us some more about how Bear reacts to hail both out in the open enroute and under your tent.
Also BeaRoyce Pass. Granite-Bear Pass goes across from Black Bear Lake and until mid to late summer has a snowfield that if one cannot sneak by the edge may require an ice axe. A former HST regular brought 2 dogs over BeaRoyce Pass.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Dave asks:
Tell us some more about how Bear reacts to hail both out in the open enroute and under your tent.
As I noted in the TR:
"We got to the big lake just in time to be soaked in sleet and hail while setting up the tent."

So, Bearzy got the full nasty treatment in that first storm- lightning, thunder claps, and hail, all pretty much at the same time; I didn't really like it either Dave. Interestingly, he doesn't seem to mind it once he's inside the tent. Lizzie and my first dog together was a golden retriever who freaked right out in any thunderstorm, and even got away from us once. So, I make it a point with our dogs to immediately pet them, tell them "It's okay, it's o-kayyyyy" at every loud sound. That may be why they don't freak out with storms, fireworks, or whatever. Bearzy just gets miserable when he's outside getting drenched, and is happier sitting it out under trees and tents. Do you have troubled in storm, dog stories Dave?
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:06 am, edited 7 times in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

SSSDave writes:
...Also BeaRoyce Pass
I checked the map, and it looks like I should be calling the pass I was on "BeaRoyce" instead; so I have changed it to that in the TR. Thanks for the heads up Dave.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Cool trip, great report and photos.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Bear in Bear Basin. That would be a good trip report name! Your dog is a lot tougher than ours. Our dog definitely likes to be out backpacking, but she also wants to be coddled. She barks like crazy when there is lightning and thunder, even at home. But, yes, being in the tent with us helps.

Years ago I came into West Pinnacle Basin from Turret Pass and then dropped down to the trail. Good to hear that Gemini Pass is OK. I liked your route- I will have to do it some time, taking more time to fish. You could also do your basic loop from other trailheads; Edison or Florence lakes or North Lake. I have gone over BeaRoyce before but was on climbing trips, so had an ice axe for the snow. I looked at the pass last fall with the snow and decided against doing it. Probably would have been OK if I just got up on it. Like you say, lots of these passes look worse than they really are.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Here is an old Buck Forester thread relating taking his two dogs over that same BeaRoyce pass:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=480&p=3405&hilit=Royce#p3405