Wolverton to Road's End via Horn Col, Copper Mine, and Langley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
OpenSkiesBeckon
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wolverton to Road's End via Horn Col, Copper Mine, and Langley

Post by OpenSkiesBeckon »

@maverick My speed: slower every year. :)

I'm about 2 mph on level trail, 3 mph downhill trail (unless it's steep or stairs), 1 - 1.5 uphill trail depending on grade, .75 x-country ascending.

I live 20 minutes from Grant Grove, so I'll be able to be at Wolverton and leave first thing in the morning. I think I'll go for Alta just because I've hiked to Pear so Alta will be new. Should take 7-8 hours if all goes well (famous last words).

Appreciate the wisdom!
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

In my opinion it’s much easier to get to Moose Lake via Alta Meadow than the Pear Lake route. And for the sake of scenery, you might want to consider leaving in the afternoon your first day and spending the first night at Alta Meadow. You’d be hard-pressed to find a more beautiful place in the park than Alta Meadow when the sun starts to go down, and really the whole hike from Panter Gap along that ridge is just spectacular late in the day. Alta Meadow also happens to be a spectacular place to catch a sunrise.

Regarding Cunningham versus Brewer Creek, having gone down Cunningham I can’t imagine going up in would be very much fun. I know others speak of traces of a cowboy trail on that route, but I found myself in pretty thick vegetation for long stretches. Anyhow, it seems like you have an amazing route planned out!
OpenSkiesBeckon
Topix Novice

@creekfeet I appreciate your insight! I will definitely consider staying at Alta Meadow the first night. It does look beautiful from the shots I'm finding online. And I'm really looking forward to hiking along that ridge from the Gap to the meadow.

As I've poured over the maps and thought through my own mortality (read: knees and conditioning), I think I'm going to split the trip into two. The first in the Tablelands, the second at East Lake and Lake Reflection with a "side" trip to Kersearge Lakes. :)

I'll save Cloud Canyon and the Whaleback for next year (loop starting at Marvin Pass, revisit Ranger Lake, Crescent Lake, maybe head up to the Tablelands and then over to Lonely, Horn Col, Copper Mine then down Cloud and out Sugarloaf to Marvin).

Maybe someday I'll tackle Brewer Creek from the west via Moraine Ridge/Creek. :)

Much thanks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Good choice to split into two trips. Big Bird Lake is definitely worth dropping to and spending the night. Fishing is good too. Sunrise reflections on Big Bird Lake are well worth the effort.

Some thoughts on your future trip. I have been to Brewer Basin several routes. In my opinion, the most efficient route is to combine it with Reflection Lake/ Longly? pass, if you are going that way anyway. Drop to Brewer Basin, spend the night so you can experience the sunset, then go back up-you only add a day and half. The most scenic exit is via Sphinx Lakes/Creek. Perhaps I did not find the best route, but going up Brewer Creek from Cement Table Meadows was miserable and not that scenic. Going down Moraine Ridge was just out of the way, having then to go back up Avalanche Pass. Moraine Ridge route is not very scenic either. I went up Cunningham Creek, but evidently was on the wrong side. It is very steep.
OpenSkiesBeckon
Topix Novice

@Wandering Daisy Thanks for the affirmation. :) I'll look into dropping to Big Bird!

Appreciate the insight into those creeks. I think Brewer was in mind as a stopping point between Cloud and Reflection, but I keep reading (as you've attested) that Sphinx Lakes/Creek is the way to go. So I think I'll plan that out for a future trip (East / Reflection / Longley / Sphinx).

Much thanks!
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

OpenSkiesBeckon wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:02 am I keep reading (as you've attested) that Sphinx Lakes/Creek is the way to go. So I think I'll plan that out for a future trip (East / Reflection / Longley / Sphinx).
If you do tend to dislike talus, I'd strongly encourage you to consider routes other than the descent of Sphinx Creek. I actually like (or in any case, don't actively dislike!) talus, but my descent of the Sphinx last week really tested my relationship to talus. There was a reaaaaallly reaaaaallly long series of talus crossings in one section that was either just above or just below Sphinx Lake #1 (I can't recall). The alternative is to bushwack through impossibly choked endless willow on the valley bottom.

Reflection - Longley - Cinder Col - Brewer Basin by comparison did not have much talus at all. The worst was actually on the use trail(s) from East Lake to Reflection Lake, following the east side of East Creek. There is quite a steep section of large, unfriendly talus that appears to have buried a section of that old use trail. I was later told by someone who hikes there frequently that one can avoid that talus by walking up the west side of East Creek rather than up the east side. He said there is no use trail along the west side of the creek but apparently the going is easy.

To avoid talus and willow in Brewer Basin, from either Cinder Col or Sphinx Col descend along the south side of the basin to get to Big Brewer Lake, then round Big Brewer on its east and north sides. This is all pleasant zigzagging down low-angle granite ramps.

Next time I enter or exit Brewer Basin I'm going try the Moraine Ridge route, even though I know it's going to be less scenic than Sphinx Creek.

- Oleander
OpenSkiesBeckon
Topix Novice

@oleander Thanks, this is all really helpful!

I'm really curious about Brewer drainage. So maybe I'll take the hit and do some scouting next summer. I don't like talus, but I do realize it's a reality of off-trail hiking; gotta pay my dues. :) I read a report wherein they ascended the small ridge south of Brewer Creek to a large flat area (which seems accurate to what I see on a map) and said it worked well. Only time I've ever read it mentioned. I'm wondering if that's a route to attempt. If I'm coming north in Cloud Canyon, I think I may try it just to give some solid TR feedback.

If I'm coming from Marvin Pass, I'll try the Moraine Ridge route and aim for the lake at 9700.

West side of East Creek: I read a report that said the same thing (maybe it's your friend?). I think I'll try it just to collect some TR info for others. Hard to tell from satellite images, but perhaps I'll hike the trail on the east side until the talus, then head to the creek and cross to the west side.

Thanks for your time and insight!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Openskies,
Having just posted a report on lots of the areas you were planning to visit (and having been to Reflection in June), I think you'll find fabulous options for photography wherever you go. And, the fact that we ran into very few people in mid-August suggests to me that you'll be even "more-lonely" in late September. So, although you may be condensing your original itinerary, in case you stick with something close to what you proposed, I have one suggestion: given the reports on Coppermine Pass (namely, it can present route-finding challenges), I have on 2 occasions traversed further North along Glacier Ridge to the second saddle (where the E is located on the topo map) and accessed Cloud canyon that way. It's lower and more-direct than Copper mine pass and it has been pretty easy to suss out a path. Regardless, hope the weather holds; it's been getting chilly up there, so the leaves should be changing quickly! Cameron