North Lake Deluxe Loop?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bluetick
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

North Lake Deluxe Loop?

Post by bluetick »

Hi All,

This is my first post on this lovely forum. I'm planning on going backpacking around Labor Day. My hope is to do the route in the link below, a loop out of North Lake near Bishop, permits permitting. The trip touches on parts of the JMT and Sierra High Route, staying nice and high with a good mix of trails and cross country hiking. The current plan is to leave the bay area after work on Thursday 8/30 and head to Mammoth in order to sleep at elevation and pick up a permit on Friday morning. On Saturday morning, hiking out to the North Lake Campground and over Piute Pass, into Humphreys Basin, over Puppet Pass, north to Granite Park and Italy Pass, then hanging south through the Bear Lakes Basin and Feather Pass, hooking back up with the French Canyon trail to the JMT in Kings Canyon at Evolution Valley, then back north east to Darwin Bench and finally over Lamark col and back to North Lake. Its an area that I've always wanted to see, 9k and up, lakes with goldens, alpine granite wonderland!

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/wau1s7TNdLgLt9C2fdekxj4w

A few questions for folks that have been this way before and recently:

Does this seem reasonable for 5 to 6 days? I'm in pretty decent shape, regularly run and hike upwards of 15m/day, fairly proficient with route finding and cross county travel.

Any links on detail of the passes: Puppet, Italy, White Bear, Feather, Lamark Col?

Thoughts on tents and campsites, I've got a Locus Gear Khufu or a BA Tigerwall, anyone have trouble finding suitable places to pitch a non-freestanding shelter in this area ie are all the good spots on slab? The Khufu is around 26 oz with 1p inner and the Tigerwall is around 32oz.

I assume the bugs will have mellowed out by this time?

Any other thoughts? Im sure Ill have more questions....

Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Lake Deluxe Loop?

Post by maverick »

Hi Bluetick,

Welcome to HST!
Any links on detail of the passes: Puppet, Italy, White Bear, Feather, Lamark Col?
viewforum.php?f=31
I assume the bugs will have mellowed out by this time?
Yes.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Bluetick,
By my metrics, you'll need good weather and good legs to get this done. On a recent trip in the southwestern Sierra, we needed to hang low several afternoons to avoid the lightning storms. But, assuming that you're lucky, getting close to Desolation Lake on day 1 is not too challenging. Granite Park on day 2 is certainly doable. To save a bit of time, I'd do GraniteBear Pass rather than the Italy-Dancing-Bear duo, and that'll give you a bit more time to scope out a nice place to park in the Bear Lakes area (for my money, the view of 7 Gables from Vee Lake rocks!). Feather Pass and getting down to the trail in French canyon has always taken me more time than it looks like it should take. I usually toss in a night at Merriam, which has always been delightful. But, that does not get you far on your loop, so you may be looking at a long day to get to Evo Valley. Darwin Bench & the lakes are great and worth a stop before hopping Lamarck col. I'd plan a minimum of 5 nights; 6 if you want a bit of comfort and flex time if the weather sours! Cameron
bluetick
Topix Newbie

Post by bluetick »

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm sort of thinking it will be 5 days but I'll have 6 or 7 if I feel like it. The GraniteBear pass has come up from a few folks. The other thing that seems interesting is Mt Julius Cesar. Italy lake doesn't seem to get that much love, especially when the Bear Lakes Basin is right there.
BigMan
Topix Regular

Post by BigMan »

cgundersen wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:50 pm for my money, the view of 7 Gables from Vee Lake rocks!.
:nod:

In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I hope you can get that guy in the photo to move. :lol:
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963