Tips for a brief excursion into Tablelands

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
levi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Tips for a brief excursion into Tablelands

Post by levi »

I've planned a two-night trip into the Tablelands area for next weekend, and I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for particular places to camp/explore. (I've done a decent amount of research already and am just looking to refine the fine twigs of the decision tree).

Background: Six people total, all experienced backpackers, but my wife and I will be leading the way with all the xc/routefinding. I expect we'll need to be sensitive about elevation and exertion in late August, but we backpacked a few nights with this group in the Tetons last summer and everyone held up well enough. We're all coming from sea level.

Plan:

Day 1: Assuming we obtain our desired permit on Friday morning, we'll take the Lakes Trail to Pear Lake, and then push on a few miles up into the Tablelands, dependent on how people are feeling. I expect this to take about half of a day if we start around 8:30am, but I want to cut the day at that point for acclimation and enjoyment purposes. I've read that there are a bunch of options for camping once you get to the 'tables.' I've also picked up on the suggestion to hug the creek/travel north-northeast (perhaps on the creek's north side?) until about 9650' before veering more east.
Day 2: Base camp and explore. I was thinking it could be fun to: visit the tiny lake at 11,200' west of Big Bird for sunrise; bag Big Bird Peak from the west; check out Pterodactyl Pass.
Day 3: Return the way we came, maybe hitting what I think is the Watchtower trail on the way out.

Questions:

Any particularly impressive campsites we might want to aim for our basecamp between Pear and Tablelands?
Is there any reason we should try to visit Moose Lake on this trip? It sounds pretty but I've also seen many number of reports of Boy Scout troops regularly camping there with dozens of people.
Are there other features in the Tablelands area that might be good to check out, beyond Big Bird/Pterodactyl? Seems like swimming holes and grand vistas abound, and we can somewhat wing it.
Should we consider not basecamping but instead moving the camp somewhere else for the second night? I know I'll be back here for a longer trip in the future, probably to hit some of the other peaks, and I think this will still be glorious even if we are conservative about our goals.

Much appreciation as always!
lockmangabriel
Topix Novice

Re: Tips for a brief excursion into Tablelands

Post by lockmangabriel »

You could descend down Pterodactyl Pass for some pretty epic views of Valhalla, and then make your way up to Lonely Lake and over Horn Col which would provide excellent views of Deadman Canyon. Don't know how much mileage you're up for but I have heard of people descending Deadman Canyon, then going cross-country up to Big Bird Lake, Lake 10,435, and then up to Lake 11,200 which would put your right back in the Tablelands. Doing the whole loop though would probably add a day to your trip.
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

In my opinion the Marble Fork drainage/Table Meadows area is far and away the most beautiful part of the Tablelands, if not all of SEKI. Pear Lake is great too, just super-crowded. Moose Lake is too stark for my taste, but I know plenty of people that think it's the bee's knees. If you wanted to do a loop, you could cut down to Alta Meadow from Moose and return that way. Alta Meadow doesn't get nearly as many visitors as the other highlights in the area, and it's as scenic as it gets. Big Bird and especially the lakes that drain into it are spectacular, but on a three day trip I can't imagine you'd have much time to explore them.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Between Pear Lake and the Tablelands, don't be surprised if the marmots are aggressively curious.
levi
Topix Acquainted

Post by levi »

thanks all! i think i'll probably stick to my original, basic plan, and let the (relatively) mild off-trail terrain be our guide :)

levi
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

If you can't get the permit for Pear Lake, go in via Alta Meadows - permits are much easier to get for that trail. I would plan 1st night camp at Alta Meadows and side trip up to the top of Alta Peak (on trail). 2nd day, head up to Moose Lake and beyond as far as you want - sounds like your group is pretty tough. If the weather is good (no thunderstorms), try to camp at the little lake at 11,200 feet on the edge of the Tablelands overlooking Big Bird Lake and looking up to the Kaweah Peaks. Truly spectacular. Then a long third day all the way out via Pear Lake.
-Phil
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Between Pear Lake and the Tablelands, don't be surprised if the marmots are aggressively curious.
More like marauding little thieves. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I'd stick with your basecamp idea and spend a day exploring without packs. And if you're curious about Moose Lake just walk up to the ridge above it, it's a cool view.

Take the watchtower route both ways, no good reason to do The Hump withe extra elevation gain through the forest when the Watchtower is one of the coolest parts of your route IMHO
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

maverick wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:07 am
More like marauding little thieves. :)
Some of them aren't so little.

These are the only animals that I see that are begging for food, yet their bellies are dragging on the ground.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

After Pear Lake, cross over the saddle/hump to your NE, descend (in same direction) to the creek, cross that creek at around 9650, and then hike E up along its N side. I'd say camp right around there (within your first mile up the creek). That is lower Tablelands without the big views, but the creek and its vast flat slabs of granite are just marvelously charming, and the camping is good. [Getting there would take most people more than half of the day. Remember that your group will be moving the pace of the Slowest Common Denominator...Whoever doesn't feel too well owing to altitude or dehydration or whatever, will determine your pace. Could take you all day to get here.]

For Day 2, hmmm, if you're going to do a layover day and return to the same camp, then just go to Lake 11,200 or Moose Lake, really soak in the scenery there, and return. That is plenty of miles (all off-trail, of course). I think people underestimate how long it will take them to plow through Tablelands, because Tablelands sounds like it should be flat easy fast walking, but most of it is not. It is complex terrain and you should bring a compass to get to either 11,200 or Moose.

For Day 2 another idea you could float to people is to move camp to 11,200 or Moose Lake. That will create a longer day on Day 3 (approx 3-4 miles off-trail to get back to Pear Lake followed by 6 miles out on trail), but it'd be all downhill and by then you will know the terrain better and will be moving faster through it.

- Oleander