Bear Lockers at South Lake Trail head?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bear Lockers at South Lake Trail head?

Post by fishmonger »

Wondering if I can leave my car at South Lake and stash the smelly stuff inside into a bear locker like I just did for a week at Mono Pass Trailhead in Yosemite. Not a huge deal if there's none, but I'd like to know before I drive up there. Satellite image shows nothing that looks like a rectangular steel box.

I am heading up there tomorrow morning, and if I know for certain that there are no bear boxes, I could leave my excesses smelly stuff at the Bishop Post office before hitting the road up to Parchers.
QITNL
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Bear Lockers at South Lake Trail head?

Post by QITNL »

I was there last year and I remember bear lockers. Same at North Lake but none at Sabrina.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Where are they hidden at North Lake? The last time I was there I couldn't find any.
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

http://www.climber.org/data/BearBoxes/SL01.html
Eight standard boxes near the backpacker parking lot, between the toilet and the South Lake trailhead sign on the lake side of the pavement. A problem bear was killed between here and Bishop Pass in 2001.
The campsites at North Lake have bear boxes, but I don't think there are any for backpackers or day use, either at the trailhead or at the long-term parking lot.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

There ARE bear boxes in the long-term backpackers lot at North Lake. There are also ones at South Lake. As you can imagine, they get full in the summer, but we've never had a problem squeezing in.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

notis wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:16 am There ARE bear boxes in the long-term backpackers lot at North Lake.
Where? We looked and looked and looked. They must be very well hidden. I asked a ranger who drove by about it. He couldn't find any either.

According to Inyo there weren't any there last October:
rlown wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:30 am I sent an email to Inyo. We'll see what they say.....

....Not what you wanted to hear, but if you keep up the pressure, maybe sometime it'll happen.
Hi Russ,
Several of our trail heads do not have bear boxes. In recent years we have been trying to get food storage boxes in all of our campground campsites, as budget allows. Hopefully we will be able to add boxes to North Lake in the future.
Cheers, Cindy

Cindy Gervasoni
Wilderness Permit Office and Web Team
Supervisory Visitor Services Information
Forest Service
Inyo National Forest, Supervisor's Office
p: 760-873-2483
cgervasoni@fs.fed.us

351 Pacu Lane
Bishop, CA 93514
www.fs.usda.gov/inyo
www.fs.fed.us

Caring for the land and serving people
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =9&t=17013
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Have they fixed the broken ones at South Lake? Not working a few years back, then you have people using the very limited parking spaces to pack their packs!
Duane
Piece of cake.
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Earlier this month, I went into the Evolution area via Lamarck Col. Left my car in the hiker's lot at North Lake (next to the Pack Station) and there were definitely no bear boxes there for hikers. Of course, there are bear boxes in the nearby campground for the campers.

Currently there are several functioning boxes at the South Lake TH. However, I have had my gear stolen from them in the past. There is a lot of activity at the South Lake parking lot and around the bear boxes there at the TH.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

longri wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:31 am
notis wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:16 am There ARE bear boxes in the long-term backpackers lot at North Lake.
Where? We looked and looked and looked. They must be very well hidden. I asked a ranger who drove by about it. He couldn't find any either.

According to Inyo there weren't any there last October:
rlown wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:30 am I sent an email to Inyo. We'll see what they say.....

....Not what you wanted to hear, but if you keep up the pressure, maybe sometime it'll happen.
Hi Russ,
Several of our trail heads do not have bear boxes. In recent years we have been trying to get food storage boxes in all of our campground campsites, as budget allows. Hopefully we will be able to add boxes to North Lake in the future.
Cheers, Cindy

Cindy Gervasoni
Wilderness Permit Office and Web Team
Supervisory Visitor Services Information
Forest Service
Inyo National Forest, Supervisor's Office
p: 760-873-2483
cgervasoni@fs.fed.us

351 Pacu Lane
Bishop, CA 93514
www.fs.usda.gov/inyo
www.fs.fed.us

Caring for the land and serving people
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =9&t=17013
Wow! My bad! :^o

I was SURE there were because we've taken at least two trips out of there and stashed our stuff. Makes me wonder where we put it? That's awfully weird to not have any.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

No harm, no foul. :)