TR: Goat Mountain & Grouse Lake, August 10-12 2018

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Goat Mountain & Grouse Lake, August 10-12 2018

Post by Flamingo »

Hello All,
This past weekend I hiked up Copper Creek overnight and climbed Goat Mountain.

On Friday August 10, I drove to Roads End and collected a walk-in permit for Copper Creek. I started climbing up the trail at 4pm and made camp at Upper Tent Meadow by 6:30. I passed only one party of four, camped at the lower meadow.

During my past trips up Copper Creek, I have often wondered: where exactly is Upper Tent Meadow? Its campsites are not obvious from the trail. On this trip, however, I wandered around the Upper Tent Meadow vicinity and discovered a collection of flat sites large enough to accommodate four small tents, plus a lovely fire pit. It’s a nice camp spot with big views, but it’s impossible to see from the trail.

On Saturday, I continued climbing to Grouse Lake. Near the ridge crest of Hutchinson, I left the trail and headed north on a cross-country route towards Grouse. Unfortunately, I soon found myself crossing annoying boulder fields. I descended towards the creek and found the walking to be easier. (Later, on my hike out, I discovered a use-trail through this section). I cached my non-essential gear at Grouse Lake and continued hiking towards Goat Mountain.

Bob Burd’s trip report was helpful for route-finding on Goat Mountain. Bob describes taking a poor class 3 route up the western face, but he makes good suggestions about an easier class 2 line nearby. I easily found his suggested route; it’s a scree chute through junipers, followed by stable talus to the summit.

I had been watching thunderheads build since morning. When I eventually reached the summit, a dark cloud loomed over the peak. I felt anxiety to tag the top and descend immediately. I was exhausted, though, and I took a moment to savor the views; they were incredible and far-reaching. Despite the numerous wildfires and smoke, I could easily identify Mount Goddard! the Palisades! Split Mountain! Brewer! and perhaps even the tip of Whitney!? I looked across the expansive Murro Blanco towards Arrow Peak (my favorite trip from last year), and I felt a sense of wonder to have seen many angles of this byzantine wilderness over many trips in my lifetime. I felt like the folds and contours of this landscape were imprinted in my memory.

A clock was ticking with the thunderhead above me. I searched for the summit register, but gave up after a few minutes. I snapped a selfie and started descending. Unfortunately, I descended the wrong scree chute---they all look similar from above!---but I managed to traverse into a better drainage. The scree is especially steep and annoying on this peak, and my descent required extra caution and patience.

Rain arrived when I reached the bottom of the scree. The storm quickly escalated into lightning and thunder. I felt relieved to be off the summit in these conditions. I enjoyed walking beneath the meteorological drama from a safe vantage. It was a treat to hear---and feel---the thunder echo across the granite basin walls.

I camped at Grouse Lake. I had seen no people all day. Sitting alone on the lakeshore, the world felt big and wild. The sunset illuminated everything pink. The storm clouds cleared. Stars emerged in the darkness of a new moon. I sat awake stargazing on this perfect summer night.

On Sunday morning, I descended Copper Creek to the trailhead. The trail is well-graded for mindless downhill cruising. The day was getting hot. I passed a dozen parties headed uphill, in various states of fitness and fatigue. I was reminded that this trail is especially steep and relentless, but nevertheless it’s a quick route to fantastic high country.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flamingo on Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Re: TR: Goat Mountain & Grouse Lake, August 10-12 2018

Post by windknot »

Nice photos, and thanks for the report!
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Darn, you just missed Oleander by a day, she continued on the SHR to Lakes Basin. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report that brings back some memories of when I did this trip as an overnighter in Sept 1980. I certainly recall some wild thundershowers (yes, in September). I recall being on the summit of Goat Mtn and it seemed as if clouds were rising and condensing from below, rather than moving in from one direction or another. The storms hit as my group was hustling down the trail and the storm featured some serious hail. I also remember this trip well because I caught a lot of grief from my dad and brother as scheduling this as a tune up trip for a Split Mtn--they felt this trip much too harsh for the purpose. And then there were some folks we met on the trail that figured out we had met while exchanging emails about 20 years later. Anyhow thanks for the report to rekindle memories that span a very long time.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;