North to South Lake loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
amigo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

North to South Lake loop

Post by amigo »

Hi. We're backpacking the North Lake to South Lake loop over approx 6 days early September. What can we expect temperature-wise on average at night? 30s? 40s? I understand that snow can occur any time. We don't plan on hiking up any peaks. Would microspikes be recommended?
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Re: North to South Lake loop

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Do not bother with microspikes or any other snow gear doing the North/South lake trail loop in early September. If a freak snow dusting does come, it'll melt right away. More likely you'll be sweating in mid-afternoon heat than chilly. Having said that, it could certainly get down to 30ish at night, especially if you camp at higher elevations. So most will want a 20 degree sleeping bag (or thereabouts) to be on the safe side.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Last year during early September, we had thunderstorms, hail, light snow, heavy blistery winds, 20F weather in Dusy Basin on a 5 day trip, not the first time this has happened in the first week of September.
Second and third week could then bring 35-40F nights, with mid 60F to low 70F temps during the day in the high sierra, other words just watch the forecast closely, take a 20-25F bag and your will be fine.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
amigo
Topix Acquainted

Post by amigo »

Thank you both for the information. So, I do have a 20 degree bag which I will bring. I'll be prepared for temperatures in the 20's just in case. Looking forward to the hike :)

By the way, is there a site that gives weather forecasts for the high sierra?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org