Advice needed: Sixty Lake Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Pietro257
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Advice needed: Sixty Lake Basin

Post by Pietro257 »

I'm going to Sixty Lake Basin next week and need some advice. About me and my crew: Very experienced Sierra hikers with many cross-country trips under our belts. Our itinerary is to camp at Onion Valley trailhead and day 1) hike over Kearsarge Pass to Kearsarge Lakes; 2) hike over Glen Pass to Sixty Lake Basin; 3 and 4) remain in Sixty Lake Basin to explore; 5) hike back over Glen Pass to Charlotte Lake or Kearsarge Lakes; 6) hike over Kearsarge Pass back to Onion Valley trailhead

My questions:

1. To avoid dropping down to Rae Lakes, I want to take the so-called Rae Col and cross-country hike from the north side of Glen Pass to Sixty Lake Basin. There is some great info on this site about the Rae Col (you people are wonderful). Anybody care to add anything? My crew is 55-60 years old with a couple of youngsters. Is going from Kearsarge Lakes all the way to Sixty Lake Basin in one day too ambitious for the senior citizen?

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... l+#p122987

http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sie ... at=2,&mt=1

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 46&p=97804

2. Where to camp in Sixty Lake Basin? Since I'm going to be there for three days, I'd like to find a good campsite on day 1. I realize the lakes don't have names (except for 3304), but if anyone could direct me to a good campsite I would be grateful.

3. Is Charlotte Lake worth going to? I thought I might camp there on the way back.

Thanks in advance for your help.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Advice needed: Sixty Lake Basin

Post by bobby49 »

I don't know how fast you folks travel, but the last time that I was there, I started from Onion Valley before dawn while it was cool. I went over Kearsarge Pass and down, then over Glen Pass and down, and then over the ridge into Sixty Lakes Basin to camp the first night. In the basin, you may find that there are no trails that go where you want to go. I camped at a lake nearest Mount Cotter, which is what I climbed on the second day. Then on the third day I went out over Arrowhead Lake Pass to the JMT, and then on to the Baxter Pass Trail.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Not trying to be a wise guy, but if you are the leader of the group, you should assess your groups capabilities and be able to determine whether they can handle it or not, much better than any of us can, since you know these people.

Charlotte Lake is okay, but personally would stay at Kearsarge again or even better, go over the pass and stay at Matlock Lake to the south.

Plenty of campsites in Sixty Lakes Basin, I am sure you all will find some to you liking.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

Everyone in my group is experienced, but let''s face it, the will is there but the body is unable, the older you get. Which is why I asked about going over Glen Pass to Sixty Lake Basin in one day. I just turned sixty. I would be remiss not to ask. A hiker who doesn't ask these kinds of questions is the one who runs the risks.

Thanks for the advice so far.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I did that same loop several years ago. I'm probably like you and your friends, a little older and in good but not great hiking shape. I generally hike about 8 mile days unless I'm off trail. Going over Kearsarge and Glenn in one day was tough for us. We did it, but going straight up Glen pass near the end was brutal. If it was me and I was going to spend that much time in Sixty Lake basin, I'd play it by ear and see how every one feels at Charlotte Lake. You have plenty of time, so why push that hard.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

What I wrote was, "the will is there but the body is unable, the older you get." It was an observation about growing old, not a statement about my health. I'm in pretty good shape.

I always err on the side of caution in the wilderness. I think it's a wise policy. Memorials to blustery backpackers are not hard to find on the internet.

I'm leaning toward going over Rae Col. If it looks too rough we can always backtrack. The route and traveling cross-country aren't what concern me. I'd like to know how class 2 the Col itself is.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Pietro257 wrote:What I wrote was, "the will is there but the body is unable, the older you get." It was an observation about growing old, not a statement about my health. I'm in pretty good shape.

I always err on the side of caution in the wilderness. I think it's a wise policy. Memorials to blustery backpackers are not hard to find on the internet.

I'm leaning toward going over Rae Col. If it looks too rough we can always backtrack. The route and traveling cross-country aren't what concern me. I'd like to know how class 2 the Col itself is.
At the last time that I went over Rae Col, it didn't see bad at all. When descending off Glen Pass, you need to pick out the exact spot to exit from the trail to get over to Rae Col. Then once you crawl through the notch, it is slightly steeper going down on the other side. Not a big deal.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The route and traveling cross-country aren't what concern me. I'd like to know how class 2 the Col itself is.
Easier class 2, not like the ones that are described class 2 and then wind up being really class 3.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org