Advice needed: Sixty Lake Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice needed: Sixty Lake Basin

Post by Ska-T »

I'd consider camping at Charlotte Lake the first night. It puts you slightly closer to Glen Pass. When you come out camp at Kearsarge Lakes or Matlock Lake. Both put you closer to the car. Charlotte gives you a nice first night experience, but it may be anticlimactic after your other days/nights.
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Advice needed: Sixty Lake Basin

Post by Stanley Otter »

Pietro257,

Not sure if you have left for your trip yet, but as a 52-year old with less cartilage in his knees than he would like to have, I can second Maverick's assessment that it is a true Class 2 pass with no need for scrambling unless you go looking for it. I went over Rae Col late last month -- some photos below. (No spoilers of the lovely views from the top unless you want them.) The north side is nice slabs and simple route-finding or wandering about for photo opportunities. As you come down from Glen Pass you can select your exit point from the trail depending on how you want to make your approach to the col. On the south side you have several choices that allow you to select your preferred mix of different terrain types. I went from north to south and chose to go up on the east side to take advantage of stable rock slopes with some welcome ledges as intermediate goals.

60 Lake Basin is beautiful with about a billion places to camp. The further down-basin you go, the fewer day hikers you will encounter coming up from the Rae Lakes. I took a zero day in the basin and day-hiked up to the base of Fin Dome. Along the way I met many people who came up from below to see just the first few lakes and then turned around. I was camped about 2/3 of the way down the basin after coming in from Arrowhead Lake and never saw anyone else at that end. Hope this helps.

Dennis
Rae Col South.jpg
Rae Col North A.jpg
Rae Col North B.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roaring in my ears,
the mountain temple's silence.
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert