Trip Report Circle Great Western Divide 7/22/18 to 8/1/18

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Report Circle Great Western Divide 7/22/18 to 8/1/1

Post by TehipiteTom »

Great report, really nice pics.
Here is a shot of the lake below Brewer. Nice lake.
That's the lake Brewer & his party used as a basecamp in late June/early July 1864, when they climbed (and named) Mt. Brewer.
xcountry rider
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by xcountry rider »

I really enjoyed your report Robert! Thank you so much. My wife and I were supposed to head out today on part of your same route. We decided to delay due to smoke and my wife's knee started acting up after a training hike.

The Upper Kern was not on my planned route. That looks like a great area to explore.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Great report and a nice route too. I would not have thought of doing this out of Marvin Pass but that makes sense. Of course a Marvin Pass opening provides the opportunity for some exotic opening moves before getting to Cloud Cyn, too, but they'd add a couple of days to the trip. Although I seldom climb peaks anymore I still get an itch when I see Milestone, too. I was at that "Upper" Colby in 2002 and gazed longingly at the peak but I was running a fever and had the worst blisters I ever had (covered half or more of both feet and raw in multiple places) so all I had energy to do was to take a few futile casts into the lake then head down to the named Colby and catch a bunch of small goldens. It had already been a fairly full day though, beginning with a blind descent from Josephine L. to Cloud Canyon (and not by the "standard" route further north). Anyhow this gets me itching about Milestone again, as well as returning to the Upper Kern.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the great report! Always appreciate seeing your photos and reading about your trips, and this one was no exception.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

Great Trip Report! Very Inspiring! Thanks for posting, it was thoroughly enjoyed. Hopefully one day I will see some of those places first hand.
levi
Topix Acquainted

Post by levi »

Awesome report and photos, thank you! Lots of fun to follow along.

I'm glad to hear that my wife and I weren't the only ones who found traversing around Lake Reflection a tad challenging :P Also, it shouldn't be surprising, but it IS so cool to see how much that cornice on Longley has shrunk since Cgunderson scoped it out in late June (it was still towering over our heads in early July). I vaguely regret skipping Milestone Bowl, and the Upper Kern, but the Sierra wouldn't be much if it didn't offer infinite adventures :)
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Re: Trip Report Circle Great Western Divide 7/22/18 to 8/1/18

Post by iHartMK »

Robert, great trip report! It was really nice meeting you on Colby Pass. I am glad that you had a safe trip.
Living On Kaweah Time
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular

Post by Stanley Otter »

Inspirational trip report -- thank you!
Dennis
Roaring in my ears,
the mountain temple's silence.
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert
RiseToADry
Topix Regular

Post by RiseToADry »

Great report. That's some nice work hiking through some rough country and being able to nab some big fish too! 18" is strong.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Thanks for the trip report, Robert. Really enjoyable to read; gives ideas! I, too, had done lots of research on a trip with Little Joe Pass but had to bail for non-hiking reasons; Sekihiker's write ups were really helpful. I hope to do it someday!