Trip Report Circle Great Western Divide 7/22/18 to 8/1/18

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Report Circle Great Western Divide 7/22/18 to 8/1/18

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Robert,
I'd been meaning for some time to come back and leave a note on this post, because I thought there was a chance of heading up into Milestone basin on the trip I did with my buddy from the East coast, so I was hoping to be able to comment specifically on our experiences walking in your footsteps. But, we wound up on a slightly different trajectory, so it'll have to be another time. Regardless, this was a delightful TR, and even though HST must be home to dozens of Whaleback photos, it never gets old! I also like the trailhead option you chose. cameron
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

@robertseeburger Thanks for this sharing great TR. I finally got time to read it. This year seems popular for HST trips to Longley Pass and Lake Reflection. I like that you took several zero days in Upper Kern; what a treat :)

PS -- Congrats on those rainbows and goldens you pulled.
ChrisInIthaca
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by ChrisInIthaca »

Great trip report!

Especially:

> I really wanted to climb it..but decided it wasn't safe. I thought of the line from Indiana Jones where Sean Connery says to Harrison Ford..."let it go Indiana"
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Thanks- What a great report, and exciting route you did. You really pulled off some long days, and some wild ridge crossing days. Little Joe looks like it needs some care to descend safely, and Milestone is a great climb! Congratulations on a great trip Robert.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Harlen..thanks for replying... it reminded me that I had meant to do one more reply and forgot! My excuse is well....that I have been backpacking.

I had one error in my post. I said I went over Brewer Col. I did not.. I meant that I went over the pass that connects South Guard Lake from Big Brewer Lake..(very easy). I dont know if this pass has a name.

Also, it was great to meet IHarkMK at the top of Colby Pass. I dont think I would have known what the handle meant ( I love Mineral King) if not for our discussion..

And for Cgunderson, it would have been great to meet up. Always fun to meet up with HST people by accident..looks like we like to go the same places...Now thinking of 2019 trips. An early read of tops for me... I want to do Sawboose loop. Another one that was planned and had to cancel but rising to the top of the priority list.