Advice needed: I should cancel Evol. Vly,-Goddard, right?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
User avatar
jillsocean
Topix Novice
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:40 pm
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Advice needed: I should cancel Evol. Vly,-Goddard, right

Post by jillsocean » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:47 pm

Thank you for these first-hand accounts and links - very helpful!








User avatar
jillsocean
Topix Novice
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:40 pm
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Advice needed: I should cancel Evol. Vly,-Goddard, right

Post by jillsocean » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:35 am

Thank you for your advice, links, and stories. astrogerly, I read your report, which did seem to have some highly impacted periods. My friends have just officially pulled the plug... so we will hope for another try in the future.

User avatar
astrogerly
Topix Acquainted
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:48 am
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Contact:

Re: Advice needed: I should cancel Evol. Vly,-Goddard, right

Post by astrogerly » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Happy to provide info. I don't say I blame you for pulling the plug... if it was my first time there, I probably would too (especially if folks are flying in). I was fortunate to get to experience Evo for the first time smoke-free...

User avatar
CAMERONM
Topix Regular
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:04 am
Experience: Level 4 Explorer
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Advice needed: I should cancel Evol. Vly,-Goddard, right

Post by CAMERONM » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:09 pm

I went through Goddard after the meetup and it was not bad at all. Just some haze at times, but nothing suffocating.

User avatar
sctopdx
Topix Novice
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:33 pm
Experience: N/A
Location: portland oregon

Re: Advice needed: I should cancel Evol. Vly,-Goddard, right

Post by sctopdx » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 am

I too am headed in that area, and very concerned ( going out of Edison over the Silver Divide to Peter Pande Lake ). The trip is planned for 8/30-9/6 and am driving from Portland...think things will clear up by then or should I head north to the norther cascades?
thx for any advise,
Ian

User avatar
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Posts: 10482
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:54 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice needed: I should cancel Evol. Vly,-Goddard, right

Post by maverick » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:55 am

By the time of your trip smoke, conditions should be much better, of course this is assuming another wildfire doesn't start, and that they don't loose control of the either the Ferguson or Lions Fires.
Monitor HST and the links that have been added in the Fire/Smoke thread to make a definite decision, as you get closer to the dates of your trip.
Being flexible with you destinations may be a good idea, picking a more southern part in SEKI, like Mineral King or Miter Basin may be a good idea, unless you must go to the Silver Divide, but having a back-up plan for the Cascades or Alpine Lakes Wilderness would be a good idea too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

User avatar
jillsocean
Topix Novice
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:40 pm
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Advice needed: I should cancel Evol. Vly,-Goddard, right

Post by jillsocean » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:10 am

Because you aren't flying, you don't need to make a decision yet. If there is still smoke/haze, why come? Enjoy your clear skies and come back when the fires are over - my 2 cents.

User avatar
sctopdx
Topix Novice
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:33 pm
Experience: N/A
Location: portland oregon

Re: Advice needed: I should cancel Evol. Vly,-Goddard, right

Post by sctopdx » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:39 am

All- thanks for the quick reply's...I will play it by ear at the time nears. Planning on backup plans closer to home, but I miss the Sierra's...although not enough to hike in smoke and miss the views.

User avatar
jillsocean
Topix Novice
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:40 pm
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Advice needed: I should cancel Evol. Vly,-Goddard, right?

Post by jillsocean » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:56 am

I just did a google search for goddard + high sierra topix and my thread from last year was in the top 5. I enjoyed revisiting the decision making process during the fires. Just wanted to thank you all again for your help. We have our trip rescheduled for Aug 3 this summer. Hoping for a smoke-free summer for all of us and the critters!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bishop_Bob, Google Adsense [Bot], Teri and 3 guests