Silver Divide off trail father-daughter trip 7/19-7/23

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Silver Divide off trail father-daughter trip 7/19-7/23

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the wonderful report and glad your injuries weren't enough to cut the trip short! There's something special about sharing experiences like this with family -- although fishing still tends to be one of the largest factors in determining where I go in the high country, I usually find that it pales in comparison to the experience of bonding with my hiking partner during the trip. So although many of my most productive trips in terms of fishing were solo, those aren't the experiences I'll remember the most fondly.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by rightstar76 »

I haven't even finished reading this but could it just be one of the best trip reports ever? This one stands out from most (not that the others aren't great but this one is truly special). The interesting thing was I just logged in. I was reading without the pictures and the truth is, you don't need any. The words themselves say it all. I will finish reading later and comment more (looking forward to it). This one is not only a great read, but also a joyful one. :)
rams
Topix Acquainted

Post by rams »

I hope my 2-year old daughter eventually grows to become as hardcore as your daughter.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Some people might have been bummed out that it rained so much and there were lots of mosquitoes. Plus the knee problem and wet camera. Instead, the trip turned out to be the best ever. Why? Because it's about the people more than about the weather and fishing. It's about having meaningful, joyful, and memorable experiences that will last a lifetime. That is far more preferable than a trip with picture perfect weather and unhappy memories. What you experienced with your daughter was precious. And this time I logged in and got to see your pictures which by the way were really nice! But the words say it all. Thank you for sharing your backpacking trip and pictures with everyone.
Mtbski
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Mtbski »

Greetings Giantbrookie, Your trip report was very enjoyable. Sorry the fishing was not to your liking. I was the dad with daughter and son you mentioned running in to near Mott Lake. Wanted to let you know the lakes I mentioned fishing in that general area were excellent. Nothing big(10-12") but the three of us probably caught and released 60 fish the day we were there. My son spotted, but couldn't catch, a monster in the lower lake. The lakes didn't appear to have been visited and fished for some time...
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Mtbski wrote:Greetings Giantbrookie, Your trip report was very enjoyable. Sorry the fishing was not to your liking. I was the dad with daughter and son you mentioned running in to near Mott Lake. Wanted to let you know the lakes I mentioned fishing in that general area were excellent. Nothing big(10-12") but the three of us probably caught and released 60 fish the day we were there. My son spotted, but couldn't catch, a monster in the lower lake. The lakes didn't appear to have been visited and fished for some time...
Welcome to Topix and thanks for the reply! That's pretty neat that we ran into you up there. Regarding "lower lake", I presume you mean the larger lower lake in the BJ chain?
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

rightstar76 wrote:Some people might have been bummed out that it rained so much and there were lots of mosquitoes. Plus the knee problem and wet camera. Instead, the trip turned out to be the best ever. Why? Because it's about the people more than about the weather and fishing. It's about having meaningful, joyful, and memorable experiences that will last a lifetime. That is far more preferable than a trip with picture perfect weather and unhappy memories. What you experienced with your daughter was precious. And this time I logged in and got to see your pictures which by the way were really nice! But the words say it all. Thank you for sharing your backpacking trip and pictures with everyone.
Thanks for your two posts. I'm glad you enjoyed the report. I did my best to convey the joy of the trip. Dawn's now in line to go with me on my 60th birthday trip which I plan to be a grand one (probably some trailless operations in SW/SCentral Yosemite).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mtbski
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Mtbski »

Regarding "lower lake", I presume you mean the larger lower lake in the BJ chain?

The lower lake I referred to is the lowest, and smallest, lake in the chain. It has mostly small trout. The exception was the lunker my son spotted. The larger lower lake has abundant trout in the 10-12" range.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

She will remember the trip forever. It looks like you two had a great time (except for the cramps).
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

Sounds like a great trip..I am sure Dawn will remember this when she is quite old. Amazing also to me how many people are talking about the ferocity of the thunderstorms in mid to late July.. I know I got pounded multiple times myself.