Silver Divide off trail father-daughter trip 7/19-7/23

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Silver Divide off trail father-daughter trip 7/19-7/23

Post by giantbrookie »

Mtbski wrote:The lower lake I referred to is the lowest, and smallest, lake in the chain. It has mostly small trout. The exception was the lunker my son spotted. The larger lower lake has abundant trout in the 10-12" range.
Thanks. Interesting, too. One figures that in that lowest lake the spawning is "too good" so that there is a high population density and fish growing up there don't get very big because of the limited food supply, but if a larger fish moves in from upstream and it is large enough to eat those little guys, it can grow to be a monster by feasting on those smaller fish.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RonnR
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RonnR »

What a great trip report! I too, have had that waterbed-ish experience. Scary but no water made it inside. 45+ years of doing this, and in a pounding storm, I set up the tent in a hollow.
SStoney88
Topix Newbie

Post by SStoney88 »

I'm heading to the same area now for a few weeks solo. Thank you for the submission. Not only a great story to read, but also very informative with well relayed information. The time and accuracy you put into this article gives me confidence on following your routes. Thank you!
giantbrookie
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

SStoney88 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:38 pm I'm heading to the same area now for a few weeks solo. Thank you for the submission. Not only a great story to read, but also very informative with well relayed information. The time and accuracy you put into this article gives me confidence on following your routes. Thank you!
I'm glad the report was helpful to you and I hope it contributes to a great trip coming up. It's kind of cool that we've seen several older reports brought back up this summer in the backpacking and fishing forums. For me it's fun to relive the memories of this trip.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

I think I missed this the first time around. What a great trip! I did the reverse of the later portion (Edison-->Rohn Pass-->Hortense-->Fish Creek) in 2003, and enjoyed it immensely. Hortense is definitely a favorite of mine.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I'm glad this got bumped to the top again. Even though I've seen it once before, I really enjoyed it the second time around.
neckbeard7
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by neckbeard7 »

Hi Giantbrookie -- thanks so much for your thoughtful reports and posts, looks like a stellar trip. You and the other major contributors (Windknot , Wandering Daisy and many many more) to a fantastic job of sharing your knowledge but also protecting the pristine wilderness that is the sierra by not spoonfeeding us all. I am in awe of how much of the range you have explored -- it is true one could spend a lifetime in the sierras. I have been wandering through the sierras my entire life, but for some silly reason not focusing on fishing (fly fishing) oriented trips. Hope to add some TRs to this forum in the future. But thanks again sincerely appreciate your activity here and being an inspiration to us all. Now if these fires would only die down :(